Died and Gone to Heaven

This can also be referred to as a chocolate trifle, but to my mom and me… it is better known as, “Died and Gone to Heaven.”

This dessert is WONDERFUL! It whips up pretty easy and everyone who eats it will think you spent forever making it!  It truly tastes like heaven!

DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN TRIFLE
a.k.a. Chocolate Trifle

Brownies:(you could just do box brownies, but I promise these homemade make it SO much better!)
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

‘Cream butter and sugar together.
Add eggs and vanilla and blend well.
Add salt, cocoa, and flour.  Don’t over-beat.
Pour into a greased 9×13 pan.
Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes or until done.  Cool completely.

Once brownies are cooled completely cut into 1 inch squares.

Remaining ingredients:
1 (3.9 oz) box instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 cup water
1 (14 oz) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 (8 oz.) container Cool whip
1 (12 oz.) container Cool Whip
3 Heath candy bars, crushed

In a large bowl, mix chocolate pudding mix, water, and sweetened condensed milk.  Fold in 8 oz. container of cool whip until there are no streaks remaining.

In a trifle bowl or glass serving dish layer:
1/2 brownies squares
1/2 pudding mixture
1/2 of 12 ounce container Cool whip
remaining brownie squares
remaining pudding mixture
remaining Cool whip
Top with 3 crushed Heath candy Bars

Refrigerate 8 hours before serving.

Comments

Im agree this is to die for!!! amazing! gloria

Angelina @ April Violet says:

Oh yes!!! Very heavenly! Many of my favorite things in this recipe…….health bars can we say Yum!

That sounds pretty darn good!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Oh my goodness! These look fabulous!

Tanya@takesix says:

What a yummy looking dessert!! I'd love to make it VERY soon.

"Died and Gone to Heaven"….more like "I'm wearing my elastic waist pants so please give me a large spoon!" This looks delicious. What a special trea!

Sadie

KarmaKristin says:

Oh I love this!! recipe saved and I will make it next time we have a family gathering!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com says:

Super Yummy!!! For the looks of it your title is the PERFECT description!!

kitchen flavours says:

Your chocolate trifle looks wonderful! Yes, I can see every spoonful is heavenly! Yummy!

JRFrugalMom says:

I think this one should come with a warning:) Oh so yummy I'm sure!

I am your newest follower, and I would like to invite you to the Follow Us Monday Morning blog hop at Frugality Is Free.

S. Greiner says:

Oh my! This looks devine…it's one of those perfect summer desserts!!!

Thanks for sharing!
    Steph

MMMM I think I gained weight just reading this post. Thanks for sharing.

Kristyn says:

thanks for the follow! I am now following you back!

Looks delish!

We'd love for you to share this recipe with us at

Simply Delish Saturday

MiniBinoy says:

hello Nikki, thanx for visiting my blog and posting such a lovely comment.. am following you too..your recipe collection is really awesome!!.. am tempted to try them all out!!congrats!

Arizona Girls says:

Oh my! lol Sharing on facebook! =)

Arizona Girls
    Arizona Girls Face Book
    Arizona Girls blog

oh my – i can see why you call it that! looks amazing!

Aisling Beatha says:

oh WOW! That looks incredible! Trouble is if I make it I'll eat it! heehee

El mundo con fieltro... sabe mejor says:

Oh, my God!!!! This is a piece of heaven. It is an amazing recipe!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wow! Looks fabulous!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Caitlin says:

Okay, first of all, sorry to see the above post— but to the topic of YOUR blog, I just started making brownies from scratch and I agree that they are so much better! Completely worth the effort, which really is not much more. :)

Caitlin says:

Oops– I wasn't talking about Jill's post– the one I mentioned was removed right after I posted!

McKinley says:

I love triffels!!! And this one loooks so so so so so good!!! Is it too much for me to ask… but I once saw on this girls blog that she made it possible to print out her recipes… with or with out the pictures and it would help me greatly if you had that button for each recipe. I tried your s'more cake and it was a hit!! Thanks for all the fun things.

Crystal says:

My boys and husband would love this!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet says:

Oh, my! I'll take some, over here, please! YUM!

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy says:

YUM! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/06/tuesday-confessional-link-party.html. I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

Kelli @ RTSM says:

That sounds way too yummy! I make a brownie layered thing with just pudding and cool whip…adding the sweeten condensed milk would make it so much better though!

Comfy Cook says:

WOW!!!!!!

I think that one word says it all. I hope it does.

shopannies says:

what a great name going to have to try this one for sure sounds so gooood

Denyse@Crazy Beautiful Life says:

This looks really delish…

Thanks for visiting and becoming a follower of my blog…I'm following back!!

Looking forward to all the yummy treats..

ladybehindthecurtain.com says:

This looks good. Would come over and share some of your recipes at my link party Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts says:

I agree, homemade brownies are worth the effort. Thank you for sharing this dessert recipe at Joy of Desserts.

Dayhomemama says:

I almost licked the monitor!!! I have to try this recipe!!!

Oh my, I think you're right! Can't wait to try this :)

The Farm Girl

Joyful Baker says:

Yum! This is going on my dessert menu this week!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks says:

Oh my goodness. I'd say that died and gone to heaven is a perfect name. It looks amazing!

Hi! Thanks for linking up this week to Tasty Tuesday! Hope to see you back next week! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} says:

Ooooooo- Yummy! That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party.

mmmmm…. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Oh, my mother in law will be so sad! She makes this as her "special" dessert and now I have the recipe too! Ha, ha!! I shared this recipe and post on my Friday Favorites today. Thank you for giving me the inside scoop on such yumminess! Have a great weekend!

Jennifer says:

Died and gone to heaven is right – this looks amazing! My mouth is watering just looking at it!!

– Jenn @ Social Salutations

The Answer Is Chocolate says:

Wow this looks delicious. Pinning to my recipe board. This would be perfect for our next family gathering!

Kim McCallie says:

Yes, this is most definitely heavenly! I can tell you that this wouldn't last long if I took it to a family event. Delicious! Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

Oh my gosh! Your name says it all. It sounds heavenly!!!

Oooo, sounds so good. May have to try it using peanut butter cups on top! Visiting from Social Salutations.

Thanks for linking up your recipes at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back tomorrow and share some more of your awesome recipes!Thanks,I hope to see you there!

I wanted to thank you for linking up again on my Whisking Wednesday party and let you know your recipe was featured (again) for this week's link party. Hope to have you back! I have to say your recipes are just incredible and I'm working on making quite a few of them myself, including this one!http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/07/whisking-wednesdays-10.html

Hi Nikki! Your amazing recipe has been featured on our blog! =) Come check it out and grab our button!~BrianaSweet Peas and Bumblebees

Looks heart-stoppingly good!

I have to agree with Anne, it does look heart-stoppingly good! :)Thank you so much for sharing this @ {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!I can't wait to see more from you on Sunday!xoxo,Vanessa

I've got chocolate on my brain now after reading and re-reading your trifle recipe! Perfectly named! So many thanks for stopping by and sharing it last week on Fresh Food Friday. your talent is always welcome and I hope that you'll consider stopping by again this weekend (linky stays open until Monday) with another tempting sensation! Be well!

Hi! Just stopping by to let you know that your recipe tied for #2 on last week's Sweet Indulgences Sunday on A Well-Seasoned Life. Hope you'll stop by this week and share one of your recipes. http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-12.html

Heavenly…indeed! Brownies, Heath bar and creamy, chocolaty decadence! Yum!Thank you so much for linking up to last week's "A Little Birdie Told Me…". My apologies for the belated vist — with July 4 falling on a Monday, it threw my whole schedule off, and I'm just now making the rounds to visit the party-goers from that week. Best, Jenn

Camille says:

This seriously looks so good. I think that I am going to have to make this for our Sunday dessert tomorrow!! I love anything with big brownie chunks! :)

Looks like chocolate heaven to me!

holy moly that looks GOOD! We are chocolate lovers and I'm going to have to try that one! Heavenly!

This trifle looks so delish!

Made this here, in TAHITI, French Polynesia… and it was gone in no more than 5 minutes!!! Was awesome… now they keep asking for more!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I made this and it WAS HEAVENLY!!!! Thank you =)

My grandma has been making something like this for years and we call it Death by chocolate! Sooo good! Only we soak our brownies in Kaluha when they first come out of the oven!

May I use your pictures on Pinterest?Thank you!

I make this with Reese’s peanut butter cups- amazing!!!!

Melissa says:

This looks delish – just wondering though do you fold in the whole 14 oz can of condensed milk in with the cool whip or only a little bit? Making this for dessert this weekend. Thanks in advance for your response!

I know it by the name of Death by Chocolate. I add Kahlua to the brownies when they come out of the oven.
    Also instead of pudding I use 2 boxes of Moose. I know there is two flavor choices, maybe more. I also add the Heath or Skor pieces in between each layer. Brownies, Moose, Candy Pieces, Cool Whip, and repeat it.

Great Dessert !

this is a copy of the original “DEATH BY CHOCOLATE, been around for years!!!

Where did your print button go?????? Don’t you want us to print your recipes out and try them??????!!!!!!!!

I apologize. My last print plug in is no longer available and I am working hard and fast to get another one installed. If you just copy and paste the recipe into a word doc, you can bypass printing the comments. Hoping to get this issue resolved asap. Thanks for your patience.