Eclair Cake

Oh my goodness…. I have an OBSESSION with this Eclair cake.  It is absolutely DIVINE!  And guess what?!..it is SO simple to make!  It does need to refrigerate it over night, so plan accordingly. This is my go to recipe for parties and get togethers.  Everyone ALWAYS asks for the recipe… well, I am going to let you in on the secret so you can impress your friends and family, too!

Eclair Cake

IMG_5620-2.JPG

By Chef in Training August 13, 2010

Oh my goodness.... I have an OBSESSION with this Eclair cake.  It is absolutely DIVINE!  And guess what?!..it is SO simple to …

1. Blend milk and vanilla pudding packets for about 2 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip.
  2. In a 9x13 pan, Layer graham crackers to cover entire bottom of pan. You may need to cut and shape the crackers to fit nicely.
  3. Poor half of pudding/cool whip mixture on top and level.
  4. Put another layer of graham crackers to cover entire surface. Cut and shape crackers accordingly.
  5. Put the second half of pudding/cool whip mixture on top and level.
  6. Put the final layer of graham crackers on top with bumpy side down. This will help the top look more smooth when you go to put the frosting on top. Once again, cut and shape crackers accordingly to avoid pits and cracks.
  7. FOR THE FROSTING: Microwave butter and milk just enough so that they are melted together. You do not need to boil it. Add cocoa and powdered sugar and blend together. This will be a runnier frosting/glaze. Pour over top of graham crackers and smooth out nicely.(**I usually double the frosting recipe)
  8. Refrigerate overnight and Dig in!

Linking up to these parties and here

Comments

Michael Ann says:

How did I miss this before? LOVE eclairs so I know I would love this. Thank you!

how much cool whip?

Do you have to use whole milk? Or could you substitute with low fat?

You can use skim. The creamier your milk, the creamier it will be, but I have used skim before and it works just fine :)

I love this dessert. It’s even better with French vanilla pudding!

This is DELISH! I have the same recipe except mine just uses a thing of chocolate frosting melted in the microwave. It’s super yummy but I want to try your frosting! It sounds super yummy! :)

I have a recipe very similar to this that has been a family favorite for about 20 years.. You’re right… it’s extremely easy and pretty much everyone who has it, loves it! In fact, my 25 year-old son just asked for this for his birthday dessert last week. :).

Just wanted to thank you for this recipe! I am famous for not being able to cook or bake anything, but I made this for Thanksgiving and it was everyone’s favorite. I will definitely be making it for Christmas. It was so easy and super delicious. It tastes exactly like an eclair!

I use this all the time, too! Love it! The only difference is we use French Vanilla pudding instead of the regular vanilla. I think it gives it a richer flavor.

I made this for an evening dinner group we belong to, and it was totally delicious! Thinking of making it for Easter dinner.

Christine says:

Well, I am totally blaming you for my new evening addiction. We made this for Easter dessert and I have been sneaking a piece each night after dinner ever since! It is so good! I should have taken your advice and doubled the chocolate topping. I think it would be even more yummy with a thicker topping.

Thanks so much for sharing such a simple and devine dessert!

Bettie says:

This recipe is delicious. My family loved this dessert. It was so creamy and full of flavor. My only complaint is that I covered it with aluminum foil when I put it in the refrigerator and some of the chocolate stuck to the foil. Other than that this was an amazing simple dessert. Thank you for another recipe that my family loves.

Crystal says:

My frosting did not come out like yours looks. It was very runny and did not thicken up at all. Any ideas what I did wrong? It was very tasty just not the thickness it should of been.

I love making this but I use french vanilla pudding as said before plus a cup of powdered sugar I think it makes it soo much better

OMGoodness! I”ll be making this one really soon!

If you are allergic to milk could you use Almond Mild or another substitute?

7 pages to get a recipe is stupid!!

I apologize. My last print plug in is no longer available and I am working hard and fast to get another one installed. If you just copy and paste the recipe into a word doc, you can bypass printing the comments. Hoping to get this issue resolved asap. Thanks for your patience.

Hi, what can be substituted for graham biscuits and cool whip in Australia Not sure what these two items are. Thanks

From what I gather, you can substitute graham biscuits with Arnott’s Granita or Shredded Wheatmeal. The Cool Whip is a name brand for a whipped cream like item that really isn’t made from cream at all. So I gather you could substitute with whipping cream + gelatin

Hope that helps!

Rosemary Millar says:

Can this be frozen after it is made?

Chocoholic says:

I made this in a 13×9 pan and it’s sitting in the fridge. I just wanted to say I followed the recipe to a T except using French Vanilla pudding and I must say the Cool Whip/Pudding mixture seemed to be waaaay too much. The picture shows a nicely proportioned cake. I used the cool whip mixture as directed and my cake is all the way to the top of the 13x9x2 pan. I don’t get it. AND I didn’t even use all the mixture! I think next time I’ll either use a cup or so less mixture or maybe even use a 15×10 pan. I have a feeling I’ll be wiping a whole lot of mixture off these pieces when I go to eat them. I love the way the cake is proportioned in the picture though. Mine didn’t turn out so nice and flat. This shows to be about an inch high; mine is 2+ inches like I said.

I would love to use a graham cracker alternative, like something light and flakey. Any suggestions? Of course with something lighter, the cool whip mixture will be too heavy so there’d have to be a little lighter alternative to that as well. Maybe something like a whipped cream filling. But then we’re talking a whole different recipe at this point, aren’t we? Lol!

I tripled the frosting and I think it will help balance out my high cake! Besides, I’m a chocoholic…

Chocoholic says:

*UPDATE*
      Ok, I tried it today. DELICIOUS! The cake settled a bit and the graham crackers softened immensely. I’m sorry. I should’ve saved my comments until after I tried it, not while it was sitting in the fridge!! Thanks Nikki!

Maybe try lady fingers instead.of.graham.crackers? Or nilla crackers? Yumm!!! Id use graham crumbs of I wanted.to eat same day..or tumble in some butter.to moisten lol sounds like a diet :)

Margie Nuttall says:

Thanks for a great, easy, and delicious dessert. I took it to church and it was a huge hit! I’m going to check out your other recipes! Thanks again!

You can substitute whipped cream or some other whipped dessert topping for the cool whip. Any type of basic plain crisp cookie such as vanilla wafers work well in place of the graham crackers

WOW this looks absolutely amazing. A version for Australian bakers would be fantastic.. Graham Crackers, Cool Whip and Instant pudding mixes are something we cannot readily get here. Or if we can, certainly not where I live in rural Victoria.

Teena Wright says:

Hi I live in Australia and want to know what I can substitute graham crackers and cool whip with as we don’t have these here… Many thanx Teena Wright

Hi Teena! I wish I could be more help, but I currently do not know any substitutes that work from experience. Maybe someone who makes this can help or comment when they find out compatible ingredients. You could try googling it too, maybe there will be some good alternative. Again, I am so sorry I can’t be much help on substitutes. If you find some, keep me posted!

Hello
        Tried this recipe but it the pudding mix did not set.
        Very tasty but could not cut into squares and serve.
        Had to use spoon and eat out of pan

I am sorry this happened. Did it sit in the fridge long enough? Did you use instant pudding mix? Also, the pudding never completely sets to a hard consistency, it just firms up a bit to hold shape. I am sorry it was not able to cut nicely. Hopefully it works better for you next time.

My daughter found this for me – hopefully it might help….

Re: cool whip – what can I sub with?
      by gecko4474 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:14 pm
      This is a recipe I found in another post for a stabilized whipped topping. I have not tried it yet but it sounds very promising. GELATIN: 2 tablespoons cold water. 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin

WHIPPING CREAM: 2 cups chilled whipping cream 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1-2 tablespoons icing sugar

1. In a very small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand for about 5 minutes to soften.

2.Heat gelatin mixture over low heat until gelatin is dissolved, then remove from heat. Let it cool.

3. Beat cream in a well-chilled bowl.

4.Slowly add the icing sugar and vanilla to the whipped cream and whip until slightly stiff.

5.Add melted and cooled gelatin to the whipping cream Continue whipping until cream holds its shape.

Kim Nichols says:

This looks delicious! I don’t like to use Cool Whip because of the ingredients in it, could real whipped cream be used instead?

I hate cool whip and have always used “real” whipping cream with a little bit of real vanilla extract to it. Just as yummy, if not yummier!

Can you use whipped cream instead? I don’t know…never was a big Cool Whip fan. Recipe looks delicious!

This is a really good recipe…..I have been making this for at least 20 years…my family loves it…and if we are dieting it is also good using low fat ingredients.

I LOVE this recipe. I remember making it years ago. So yummy!

Use French vanilla pudding its better

Hi Nikki, This looks amazing! I pinned it for later. I can’t wait to try it I love eclairs! Hope all is well.

Betty Heyward says:

I have not been able to find the graham crackers. Where do you buy
    Thanks Betty

Use French vanilla pudding with 3 cups milk and the cool whip. Also, use chocolate graham crackers. Make a ganache with bittersweet chocolate and pour over top. Absolutely fabulous!

ladylasning says:

i have made this without powdered sugar and you don’t miss it. I also use the cinnamon graham crackers and it gives it better flavor to any kind of pudding. I have used chocolate and vanilla with the cinnamon. Just a FYI. Your picture makes me want some but i would have to go to the store for the cool whip and crackers.

I’ve made this for years as well, but I’ve always layered with blueberry or cherry pie filling.

Are we not going to cook the mixture of milk and instant pudding in this recipe? Is it ok to do that?

For the chocolate topping, you can get the Smuckers hard she’ll chocolate….Shake well, put in microwave (with top off) for few seconds, pour over pudding mixture. Can’t remember if it takes two bottles….very good, everyone always wants recipe.

Hi there, can I substitute cool whip with actual whipped cream? We don’t have cool whip where I’m from.

can i double boil the butter and milk instead of microwave?

Sheryln Smith says:

In England Digestive Bisquits are the same as Graham Crackers. Cool whip is a prepared whipping cream like substance with little or no calories.

When you indicate 2 packages of Grahman Crackers do you mean 2 sleeves or 2 boxes? I have a box of 3 sleeves that says 14oz and I am confused. Thanks..

im in Australia and i dont know what these graham crackers are ,. Can you explain or give me an alternative please. This looks like a very delish recipe and i want to make it. Thanks.

Marketa says:

Hello. Thanks for this recipe. I’m from Czech Republic and I don’t understand, what is “cool whip”. I cann’t translate it. Can you help me please and explain to me, what is it? Thank you.
    Wish a beautiful day.

jessica says:

Like the taste, but it never firmed up, Could eat it with a spoon.. Will not serve this to my guests. Very soft.

I am sorry yours never firmed up. Did you whisk the pudding and milk until the pudding formed? Did you use instant pudding?

christine says:

This recipe was very disappointing. There must be some mistake in the frosting, was like water, so before pouring over cake i added 1 full cup of icing sugar to mixture. Was still way too runny, so added yet another 1/2 cup. against my better judgement poured it over cake and let it stand overnight. made no difference. cut it for dessert, after 1st piece was removed the frosting ran everywhere…what a mess. If i chose to make again i will find my own frosting recipe.

I am sorry you had trouble with this recipe. I just add more powdered sugar as necessary to get a thicker frosting consistency. It is supposed to be on the runnier side, but it does set up in the fridge.

pat sannes says:

THE VANILLA PUDDING COMES IN 2 SIZES. 1 OZ OR 1.5 OZ AND THE RECEIPE CALLS FOR 2 3.4OZ