Spiced Nuts make for GREAT holiday gifts! If you are looking for a quick last minute gift idea, this would be a great one to try.
These nuts are like a roller coaster of flavors. When I made them it was an up and down of sweet, spicy and savory. They keep me on my toes and I thoroughly enjoy them!
They are a great snack and munchie to have around the house. If you love nuts and lots of flavor, then you will LOVE these bad boys!
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups assorted skinned nuts
- salt to taste
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and then place a wire cooling rack over the top. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan to 365 degrees F. DO NOT fill the pot of oil more than ⅔ of the way full.
- Fill another large pot ½ of the way full of water and bring to a boil.
- In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, curry, cinnamon, mustard, allspice, ginger, and cayenne and whisk until well combined.
- Take one cup of the nuts and blanch them in the water for about 30 seconds.
- Remove nuts with a fine mesh sieve and place in a separate medium bowl and immediately add ¾ cup of the sugar/spice mixture. Coat the nuts well. The sugar should form a thick paste, add more if necessary until it is well coated with a paste.
- Immediately fry nuts for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then transfer using the fine mesh sieve to the baking sheet lined with foil and topped with a wire cooling rack placed over the top.
- Spread nuts out and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Skim any residual sugar from the surface of the oil before frying the next batch to prevent burning. Repeat the process for a cup of nuts at a time until all 6 cups are done.