This Oatmeal Cake will be one of THE BEST things you ever make.
Seriously I mean, okay, it looks pretty good, but how it looks doesn’t even compare with how it tastes! It is one of my personal favorite recipes here on the blog. It comes from that family cookbook my grandma made 20 something years ago and is truly one of the treasured ones in there.
It is one of the most moist cakes you will ever experience. It literally melts in your mouth and the spices, textures and flavors fuse together to create perfection in each and every bite.
You absolutely need to make this, you will not regret it!
- 1¼ cups water
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In small sauce pan, bring water and butter to a boil.
- Once boil is reached pour into a large mixing bowl, add oats and let cool for 3 minutes.
- Beat in sugar and brown sugar and eggs until well mixed.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon and mix until well combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl. Add evaporated milk, vanilla coconut and nuts and mix until well combined.
- After cake has baked, spread topping very carefully over hot cake. Place under a broiler for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Watch constantly and carefully so as not to burn.