Creamy Cheesy Carrot Casserole… I feel like that is a tongue twister of “c” words!
This is a recipe my husband brought into our marriage. His mom made it (and still makes it) all the time. It is such an incredible side dish to almost any meal. I can honestly say, this is a hubby favorite :)
I made it for our dinner the other week and he literally had a smile from ear to ear. The next day he came home from work and said, “Where is that carrot casserole, I have been thinking about it all day long and couldn’t wait to get home to eat it!” I LOVE when my husband loves what I cook. I know your family will absolutely love this recipe, too. My picky kids both ate this right up!
My mother-in-law serves this dish for their Thanksgiving feast so if you are already trying to plan ahead for your menu, (I know its next month, but if your anything like me, planning ahead for family get togethers is a must :) ) definitely give this one a go! It is a huge hit with everyone!
- 3 cups peeled and sliced carrots cooked to al dente
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1¼ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. celery salt
- 6-7 slices white bread
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- MAKE WHITE SAUCE: In a large sauce pan, melt butter in saucepan, add flour and stir to combine. Once you have your roux, add half and half and stir constantly until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in salt, onion powder, dry mustard, pepper and celery salt.
- In a 9x13 pan, layer peeled and sliced carrots, then white sauce, then evenly sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese over white sauce.
- Place slices of white bread in blender and blend until it turns into bread crumbs.
- In a skillet, heat 3 Tbsp. of butter and then sauté bread crumbs in the butter until golden in color.
- Evenly sprinkle bread crumbs over shredded cheese on the casserole.
- Cover casserole with foil and Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes