We are a split family when it comes to dinner choices. My daughter, if she had a choice, would have spaghetti every night… and I would choose to have Mexican every night… and my husband and son will eat just about anything.
This meal is the best of pasta and Mexican. It is DELICIOUS! I had my doubts… but let me tell you, everyone in my family LOVED this meal!
Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium red pepper diced
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 20 ounces green chili enchilada sauce
- 2/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- penne pasta
- Cook chicken, drain, and shred (you could use a rotisserie chicken to make it even easier).
- While chicken is cooking, boil pasta according to package and chop the veggies.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-low heat.
- When oil is hot enough, add onions and cook them for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, & enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
- After you let it simmer, add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through.
- Next, add in the sour cream and cook on low heat to avoid the sour cream curdling. Stir until sour cream is well mixed and heated through.
- Drain pasta & return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta and stir well to evenly coat pasta.
- Serve warm and garnish with avocado, tomato, green onion, and a dollop of sour cream.
(recipe from: Pearls, Handcuffs and Happy Hour)