Cheesy Enchilada Casserole
So much to be said about two of my favorite words.
I could live off of Mexican Food for every meal for the rest of my life and die one happy girl. Enchiladas may be one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. Sometimes though, the process can be long. Stuffing and rolling each enchilada is not hard at all, but why not make it easier?! I am all about easy recipes and this one is not only easy but is DELICIOUS!
My husband ate half the pan by himself! He wanted me to be sure and tell all of you that he LOVED this dinner and it was deemed to make the “hubby favorites” list.
- 1½ lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped, may also substitute onion powder
- 2½ cups salsa
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1¼ cups frozen corn
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ cup sour cream
- 6-8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 ( 14 oz.) can Red Enchilada Sauce, I used mild, El Paso Brand
- 2 cups shredded cheese, I used a Colby Jack/Monterey blend. I also used more because my hubby loves cheese :)
- any toppings you would like, tomato, cilantro, lettuce, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook meat and onion until meat is browned and cooked completely through.
- Stir in salsa, black beans, corn, taco seasoning, cumin, and sour cream to the meat. until evenly mixed through.
- Spread ⅓ of meat mixture onto the bottom of the greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle ⅔-3/4 cup shredded cheese over the top of meat mixture.
- Layer with 2 tortillas. If desired, break and trim a third tortilla to fill in any gaps.
- Pour ⅓ of the enchilada sauce over the tops of the tortilla layer.
- Continue layering as listed above until top layer is reached. End with toping the casserole with tortillas, last ⅓ of enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Be generous on the cheese :)
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Serve with any toppings you would like.
(recipe adapted from Get Off Your Butt and Bake!)
Hi Nikki, The picture looks like there is corn in the recipe - did you omit this, or use a salsa with corn in it?
Chef in Training
There is. Sorry, completely spaced to add that to the recipe. It is added now :) Thanks for catching that! Have a great day!
sally @ sally's baking addiction
Love one-pan wonders like this casserole! And the fact that it contains MEXICAN flavors has me craving mexican for dindin tonight. And like your hubby, I'm sure my BF could eat 1/2 the pan by himself too lol!
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel
I want this for dinner! So gooey and cheesy--two of my favorite words when describing both Mexican food and casseroles. I'm all about easy when it comes to dinner!
Fell in love with the picture! Making two pans of this tonight for dinner-thank you so much for the recipe!!
This looks amazing!! it's recipes like this one that make me a little sad my husband is vegetarian :( (altho I might try a verson for him using the non-meat 'crumble' we use for his tacos) ... hmmm.
Sounds great! I'm always looking for new ways to fix Mexican food. Thanks for the great idea!
This is going on the menu for next week. Each week there is at least one of your dishes on my menu. Thanks! Glad to hear your hubby has the appetite for 1/2 a pan!
Aimee @ ShugarySweets
Yum. Looks great Nikki!
Looks amazing!! I was wondering if you drained the corn and beans before you added them?
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life
We eat some sort of Mexican food almost weekly around here. I am loving this casserole idea...anything to make dinner prep even easier:-) It looks amazing!!!
I made this last night and it was very good. I usually keep taco meat in the freezer and thawed that to use (did not use cumin). I have made several mexican style lasagnas over this years and this is my favorite.
Looks awesome! Cant wait to try it. Did you drain the black beans???
I MADE THIS LAST-NIGHT FOR MY FAMILY & IT WAS FABULOUS... EVEN BETTER TODAY WHEN I WASN'T SO FULL FROM SAMPLING THROUGHOUT THE COOKING PROCESS. LOL
I am looking forward to trying this recipe. It looks similar to another one i''ve made for years, but without the corn.\
I substitute the flour tortillas for corn tortillas only because I am restricting my carb intake....but other than that this recipe s awesome...LOVE IT!!! BTW~~this is my husbands favorite Mexican dish as well.....even my picky teen girls love it....Thanks for the recipe!!!
DID I MISS THE PRINT BUTTON SOMEWHERE???? I WANT THIS RECIPE ;O}
Barbara Garneau Kelley
My friend Nancy brought this to work for her lunch, said all her boys loved it and I am sold. I making it next week for my boys.
MAKING IT TONIGHT!
Leave a Comment