A moist and delicious brown sugar sheet cake with an amazing caramel frosting. The sheet cake is topped wight he most delicious sweet and crunchy pralines for a perfect bite each and every time!
Sheet cakes are a weakness of mine. It is such a moist and incredible cake each and every time I create one. This one is a little extra special to me.
90% of the time, if I can switch out regular sugar for brown sugar, I will. I prefer the flavor of brown sugar much more than that of regular sugar. So you can only imagine how good this base cake recipe is since brown sugar is the STAR of the cake!
The Pralines add such a wonderful texture to add a sweet crunch to each bite. The were the perfect finishing touch to this already mouthwatering cake.
Paired with a caramel frosting and you have a cake straight from heaven! This was one recipe people had multiple helpings off- it is THAT good!
I hope you love this as much as I did!
- 1½ cups chopped pecans
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper on flat surface.
- Heat medium size skillet over medium high heat. Place pecans in skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes stirring constantly. Add brown sugar and stir constantly until brown sugar is melted and coats the pecans. Dump the nuts onto parchment paper and separate the nuts while they cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine butter, water and shortening. Bring to a boil. After mixture reaches a boil, remove from heat and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in brown sugar and continue to stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add buttermilk, then baking soda, then eggs, then vanilla in that order, mixing in-between each addition.
- Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1 inch cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool.
- While cake is cooling combine butter, cream and brown sugar in medium sauce pan. Stir over medium heat until mixture begins to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in powder sugar and vanilla.
- Pour frosting evenly over top.
- Sprinkle with pralines.