This Caramel Overnight French Toast Casserole is filled with a caramel taste and topped with the most delicious brown sugar syrup. This is a great breakfast to serve up for your family! It is a new family favorite!
Overnight breakfast casseroles are my favorite type of breakfasts. I love that I can get all the work done the night before and simply pop it in the oven the next morning.
This particular overnight casserole is one of my favorites because it is filled with a caramel flavor. It uses brown sugar to give it that beautiful taste. The brown sugar is used in both the egg mixture and the syrup.
Let’s talk about that Brown Sugar Buttermilk Syrup for a second. It will literally be one of THE BEST things you ever try in your life. No exaggeration. You will want to use it on everything :)
The praline nuts give it a nice added crunch to the soft pillowy french toast. Definitely give this recipe a try! It is one of our new family favorite breakfasts!
- 1 loaf French bread cut into 1 inch cubes
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup praline nuts
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place cubed French bread evenly in dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, half and half, heavy cream, brown sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Mix well with electric blender or beat until well mixed and smooth.
- Pour evenly over bread. Press bread down into egg mixture as necessary to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for it least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until thoroughly done in the middle. (It will be golden brown and puff up.)
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with pralines and top with syrup.
- In medium sauce pan over medium heat, combine butter, brown sugar and buttermilk. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, or until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and baking soda and vanilla.
- Serve over bread pudding.