This Mac and Cheese is my mom’s famous recipe. It is creamy, cheesy and completely addictive! It makes for a fabulous side dish whoever it goes and is extremely popular! There is never any left!
My mom has been making her famous Mac and Cheese recipe since before I can remember and I promise you… with neighbors, her church, our extended relatives… this is her number 1 most requested side dish. Ever!
Everyone raves how it is the best mac and cheese they have EVER had! I agree. My family gobbles up this stuff.
Now, I should preface, this recipe has Velveeta and I know some of you are huge fans. I typically am not, however, I have not been able to find a suitable replacement and still get the same consistency, flavor and texture. So if you are up for the challenge and try a substitute with great results, come back and let me know!
Until then, I eat this recipe as is. It is the only recipe I use Velveeta in personally, as I have found other cheeses to work.
Now off that note,
- 1 pound macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3½ cups milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces Velveeta, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2½ cups medium sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- Add the cooked macaroni to dish.
- In a large sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and bring to a boil. Add cream cheese and Velveeta cheese, and stir until melted and completely smooth. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of the sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour over macaroni and carefully stir in the sauce until it is completely incorporated.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.