Mexican Food is my favorite type of food, no ifs ands or buts about it!
Last week, I chopped off part of my thumb and had to get it sewn back on. My husband was on travel for work, so my parents so kindly offered to let me stay with them until he got back to help me out with my two young, wild, crazy and adorable children while my thumb was on the mend. I love my parents, and I love visiting my “home.” Its funny. Even though we grow up, get married, have kids and create our own lives, it seems, at least for me, that when I walk into the doors of my parents’ house, its almost as if I never left. Even though I am a mom, sometimes I just need MY mom. It was so nice to feel “taken care” of while I was in some pretty intense pain.
The moment my kids and I walked in the door, my mom immediately said, “What can I make for you? What are you craving? What will make you feel better?” Hearing those three sentences made me cry. I just love my mom. I knew exactly what I wanted. I have had this idea in my head for a while now and just never got around to fixing it up. So I told her what to do and she made me this wonderful, DELICIOUS and absolutely perfect quesadilla. Seriously, it is amazing, unique and filling.
Santa Fe Chicken Quesadilla
By March 7, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 6-inch quesadilla
This is absolutely the best quesadilla I have ever had! So many great flavors!
- 2 6-inch flour tortillas
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup cooked and diced chicken
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup corn
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- Lightly butter one side of each tortilla.
- In a small bowl, stir cream cheese and chili powder together until evenly mixed.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon on each of the remaining sides of the tortillas.
- Evenly sprinkle chicken, black beans, corn, avocado, cilantro and mexican cheese onto on top of the cream cheese mixture of one of the tortillas.
- Place remaining tortilla, cream cheese side in, on top.
- Cook on low heat until lightly browned then flip over to other side of quesadilla. To get cheese to melt, I place the lid over the pan to trap in the steam and heat while both sides brown.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole or whatever you would like.