Cake Batter Cinnamon Rolls {Made with a …

These maybe the EASIEST cinnamon rolls I have ever made. The dough is easy to work with, easy to make and the flavor is delicious.

Cake Batter Cinnamon Rolls {Made with a Cake Mix!} on chef-in-training.com ...These could be the easiest and most delicious cinnamon rolls ever! #recipe #dessert

One secret I have learned recently, is that bread flour is fantastic. My aunt filled me in that the secret to her light and airy rolls and soft cookies is using bread flour. It is lighter than all purpose flour. These cinnamon rolls were the perfect texture. Not too dense, just warm gooey and soft.

Another thing that makes these cinnamon rolls so mouth watering delicious and perfect for the cake-batter-obsessed is the Cake Batter frosting :) If it is a little TOO cake batter overload for you, you can make just a basic buttercream… however, nothing is to cake batter for me :)

I adapted a recipe I found for Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls over at No. 2 Pencil and they turned out fabulous. Seriously. These would make an amazing birthday breakfast or even a treat just because. I sent these with my husband to give to his scouts and none were left :)

Cake Batter Cinnamon Rolls {Made from a Cake Mix!}

By Chef in Training January 25, 2013

• Yield: 24-29 cinnamon rolls

These could be the easiest and most delicious cinnamon rolls ever!

1. In a large liquid measuring cup, measure out 2 1/2 cups warm water. Almost to hot to touch but not scorching. Pour in the 2 packets of active dry yeast and let it activate and foam up. (you could just pour the measured water into a bowl as well, I just find this easiest)
  2. Once yeast is active pour into bowl of a stand mixer. Add rainbow chip cake mix, salt, vanilla and bread flour. Use dough hook attachment to knead dough together, just for a minute or two.
  3. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough inside. Cover with saran wrap. Let sit for an hour until doubled in size. Punch dough down with fists and cover again and let rise for an additional hour until double in size.
  4. Once dough has gone through its second rise, remove and placed on a clean floured surface. Roll out into a large rectangle shape.
  5. Smear softened butter over top. Next evenly sprinkle, distribute and rub brown sugar over top. Then sprinkle yellow cake mix evenly over top of that. Rub gently to evenly cover if needed. Next sprinkle with desired about of cinnamon and sprinkles.
  6. On one of the long sides, roll up to make a long and skinny log. Slice into even rolls. It should yield 24-29 rolls depending on how thick you slice them.
  7. Place in a greased 9x13 baking pan, 12 rolls per pan.
  8. Cover with plastic wrap and let cinnamon rolls rise a final time in the pan, about 30 minutes, or until they have doubled in size.
  9. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
  10. While cinnamon rolls are baking, make the cake batter frosting. In a large bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar, cake mix, vanilla and milk. Add more powdered sugar/milk until desired consistency is reached. Add in as many sprinkles as desired.
  11. Spread frosting over warm rolls. Sprinkle with additional sprinkles if desired.

(recipe adapted from: No. 2 Pencil)

Comments

This is like when I learned how easy it was to make shortcut donuts. Now I have to make these!!

STOP IT! These sound awesome Nikki!

Oh my gosh! These are going on my make soon list! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Do you have to let the rolls rise again after you place them on the pan before baking?

Updated: Sorry I am updating the recipe to say that now :) Thanks so much! Forgot to add that. Yes, they are supposed to double in size one last time once in the pan.

Holy Yum!! And how awesome to know you can make cinnamon rolls from a cake mix!! I am all over these rolls!!!

They look delish! I made some for my daughter’s birthday last year and I have a feeling that she will be expecting them again this year. But who am I to complain about cinnamon rolls + cake + sprinkles all rolled into… breakfast. Good stuff!

I’ve used the same basic dough recipe for years. Never fails! I use a yellow mix but may try another next time.

Carol Storm says:

Love your description of how to know when the water is hot enough for the yeast! Taught my girls to put their finger in it and we used a thermometer until it was the right temp so they would always know how to test it by feel when they were older and “baking through the years”.

This looks so good. Doing it for our 1 year old’s birthday tomorrow! Thank you for sharing!

Whaaaaaa? Cake batter? In your cinnamon rolls? I die.

Definitely no such thing as too much cake batter flavor. Love this.

It’s a party for your tummy!

Love these! A year or so back I remember seeing so many cinn rolls made with cake mix on blogs but never tried it then. But now, I almost HAVE to try it b/c I am so into bread-making, and these look too good not to! Pinning!

I soooooo need to try this Nikki! The possibilities are endless!

i’m dying. omg. I can’t stop saying OMG at my desk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are beautiful!!!! I’m freaking out! I want some right now Nikki. I am in LOOOOVE.

Wow, these look georgous! Just when I didn’t think it was posible, your pictures just keep getting better and better! I can almost smell them and wish I had one right in front of me. right now!

I would love to make these for my sons birthday next week. Is there a point in the recipe where they could go in the fridge overnight and then get baked in the morning? I just don’t want to have to get up at the crack of dawn to make these for breakfast. Thanks!

Sorry so late to reply but Yes, there most definitely is. Follow the directions through placing dough rolls in the pan. Then cover with plastic wrap and put directly into the fridge. Don’t let them rise in the pan before the fridge. They will not turn out correctly if you do. In the morning when you are ready to bake them, let them sit out for probably a good 30-40 minutes, then follow the rest of the instructions as directed.

Yummy. I would LOVE those!

Oh.My.Gosh! Those look pretty darn delicious! I pinned it and will definitely be making these for my daughter’s birthday in May. Not sure I can wait that long, so may have to make them for Valentine’s Day! ;)

Thanks so much for the shout out!

These look so amazing! I can’t believe you put cake mix in the filling, you are a genius! Love it!

I can’t believe you can make cinnamon rolls using a cake mix. Love it!

yuuuuuum! this is such a fun idea, these look amazing!

These are so unique! I was actually on Pinterest last night looking at “cake batter” recipes. I saw a cinnamon roll recipe, but it didn’t impress me enough to pin it. Yours certainly did, and I pinned it to my breakfast board. Thanks!

These look amazing! Your photography is so beautiful too.

These are the most amazingly beautiful photos! We have limited cake mix available in Australia but I would love to try these!!!
    xo Emily

Is there a point where you could stop (and then not have quite so much to do) to have them ready to bake in the morning?

Yes, there definitely is.. Follow the directions through placing dough rolls in the pan. Then cover with plastic wrap and put directly into the fridge. Don’t let them rise in the pan before the fridge. They will not turn out correctly if you do. In the morning when you are ready to bake them, let them sit out for probably a good 30-40 minutes, then follow the rest of the instructions as directed.

These are kind of amazing… not gonna lie! I love all things cake batter!

Can I make the dough,let it rise and shape into the rolls the night before. Refrigerate overnight in the pans then do the final rise before baking?

Yes, you most definitely can. Follow the directions through placing dough rolls in the pan. Then cover with plastic wrap and put directly into the fridge. Don’t let them rise in the pan before the fridge. They will not turn out correctly if you do. In the morning when you are ready to bake them, let them sit out for probably a good 30-40 minutes, then follow the rest of the instructions as directed.

These are awesome!!!!! I put them in the refrigerator after putting them in pans and let them do the final rise in the refrigerator. They may have taken a little longer longer to bake but not much if at all. I didn’t pay attention to how long they baked :)

Do you think it would be possible to make these GLUTEN FREE? Just wondering………..these would be wonderful for Easter with all the spring like colors.

Tammie Wilins says:

love them!

Christine Bailey says:

I am so glad I stumbled upon this! So excited to make these for Easter tomorrow. Thanks!!

I have “highly active yeart” in my pantry and it says to mix right in with the dry ingredients and to add the hot water right in, no activating the yeast. it also says “replaces the first rise in 2 rise recipes”. why is yeast so confusing:( should i just follow the yeast packet directions?

Made these for my boyfriend for a suprise birthday breakfast in bed! He absolutely loved them with a cup of coffee! Thanks for helping me start of his birthday right!

My question is whether you can use the new sized cake mixes for this recipe or would I need to add 3 oz from another mix?

These look perfect for a birthday party event/sleepover for little girls. I love how adorable and delicious these look. Thank you for sharing.

These look amazing! Would love to try them soon, just want to know if the bread flour can be substituted with all purpose flour?

These sound amazing…..but, I am unable to use cake mixes due to my children’s allergies. Any suggestions as to how to make them, and get that great flavor, completely from scratch?

Just found your amazing and beautiful looking rolls and would love to try making them. Is it possible to make them ahead, bake, freeze and once thawed put the frosting on before serving? I have a large crowd for Christmas morning and if I could bake these ahead that would be perfect! Thanks for your response in advance….

I just have to know why people insist on ruining their cinnamon rolls with slathering all that frosting on them??? My grandma always said if they are slathering frosting on their cinnamon rolls they are hiding something. I’ve made cake batter cinnamon rolls thousands of times and believe me they are very tasty in their own right and don’t need frosting to mask the flavor.

Susan Woody says:

If I don’t have a stand mixer, can I just knead for 4-5 minutes?

Susan Woody says:

If I don’t have a stand mixer, can I just knead for about 5 minutes?

Omg I am sooo making these this weekend!! Do you think I could prepare them the night before, after I roll them into a log or slice them, put them in the fridge and then bake the next morning?

Tried to find your eclair recipe but never could find it and got real frustrated. You do have some good pictures even if you can’t get to the actual recipes.

I love this!!! Great idea! Could i wrap the rolled log before slicing in saran wrap and refrigerate it? then slice and arrange in pan to bake in the morning?