As a kid, I am pretty sure Mickey Mouse pancakes were just about the coolest thing my mom ever made me at that time in my life. On super special occasions, she even attempted Minnie Mouse pancakes with a cute little bow on top. Yeah, my mom is pretty awesome like that.
I am going to let you in on a little secret. This recipe come straight from Disneyland itself :) These amazing treats can be found at Cafe Orleans at Disneyland Resort and today I get to share the yummy and sought after recipe with you! Not only are these delicious, easy and totally doable- but they bring an extra little bit of magic to breakfast/dessert with their cute Mickey Mouse Shape.
Smear a little honey butter and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and it is melt-in-your mouth heaven!
- ½ tsp. dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water, (105 degrees F)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup boiling water
- vegetable oil for frying
- powdered sugar
- honey butter
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to ¼-inch thickness and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter or cut into 2½ to 3-inch squares.
- Cover with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain.
- Dust warm beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately. You can also spread some honey butter on them if you would like.
Makes: 10 large Mickey Mouse-shaped fritters or 2 dozen small fritters