Chinese Chicken Salad

This salad was a classic in my home growing up. This recipe comes from my grandma’s cookbook and I am sure will work its way into yours!

It has such a great flavor and the perfect amount of crunch.  It is also incredibly easy to whip up.  My whole family loves this and I am sure yours will, too!

Chinese Chicken Salad

IMG_0299-1

By Chef in Training July 26, 2012

An easy and delicious salad to throw together with the perfect amount of crunch!

1. In a large mixing bowl, toss sunflower seeds, coleslaw, chopped green onions and chicken.
  2. Smash Top Ramon packets with fists until they are crushed into small pieces. Reserve beef packets for sauce. Add Top Ramon pieces to salad and toss to evenly distribute.
  3. In blender, combine peanut oil, sugar, vinegar and beef packets. Blend until evenly mixed.

Comments

Nikki,

This looks so good…but am I missing something? I don’t see the recipe. :(

Jan

I would love the recipe. Am I missing something, because I can’t see the recipe.

sorry sometimes the wordpress plugin doesn’t work, it should be back now :) Thanks! Have a great day!

this looks delicious, but am i missing something? Where is the recipe?

I am so sorry about that. Sometimes the wordpress plugin doesn’t work. It is back in now :) Thanks! Have a great day!

Crystal Moore says:

Is there anything you can substitute for the peanut oil? Maybe olive oil?

Thanks!

My sister-in-law uses vegetable oil I believe in hers and it is still great! The peanut oil just adds a bit of a more unique flavor to it, but I am sure you could sub it out for vegetable or canola if you wanted to.

I used sesame oil since my son has a peanut allergy. Tastes great

Hi – great recipe! One question – do you cook the noodles or put them in crunchy?

just put them in crunchy. Smash the dry noodles into tiny pieces and toss them in :) Easy peasy!

I love that the noodles are crunchy–so yummy. I definitely want to make this next week for when it’s scorching here in California. Love the homemade dressing using all the Top Ramen!

Do you have suggestions for an alternate sauce? I am allergic to the msg in Ramen flavor packets. Thanks

Some ramen brands discontinued the use of MSG. Look for Nongshim (found in most international isles at grocery store). Look for ones with newer packaging(not the Styrofoam).

Hope this helps.

I’ve been looking for the recipe for this salad! I love it!! Nom Nom Nom…can’t wait to make it!! Thanks!

Chinese chicken salad is my favorite thing to order at cheesecake factory, PF Changs, and California pizza kitchen. But I’ve NEVER made it at home! I love the shredded chicken, it’s my favorite part! I think I’d add some crushed peanuts on top too!

This sounds delicious!! I’d love to have you link this up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. It’s a new linky party starting today. Hope to see you there. Thanks, Nichi

This looks wonderful! I love the addition of sesame seeds. Sesame chicken is one of my favorite Asian dishes. This salad would make a great light meal on a hot summer day.

That is a lovely looking salad, looks delicious!

Oooo I just made a version of this recipe! I make mine with Oriental Ramen, apple cider vinegar, veggie oil.

I also add chicken, mandarin oranges, cilantro, slivered almonds, and dried cranberries. So yummy :) Great post!

I have been looking for something like this. Thanks :)
    If I make it for peanut allergies I’ll probably use sesame oil instead. I’ll also use rice vinegar since I have an excuse to finally use it.

Yummy!!! My husband and in-laws raved over it. I liked the dressing a lot… been trying to find one like this and I think it’s the peanut oil that gives it the great taste! Thanks for sharing. Love all your recipes! :)

This looks so delish and perfect for a hot summer evening. I’m sharing your great photo of it on my blog today with a link back to your website for the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Your food is the best. So easy and so good

I ask for this salad every time I come home–it was my birthday meal this year! I love eating this with home-fried wonton strips and peanuts as well. Thanks for sharing!

Hi, nice recipe….I’d really like to try making it, but I don’t know what “Beef Top Ramon” is…could you explain. Thanks.

I am interested in using just chopped up cabbage and carrots instead of using a coleslaw mix. Is there something really important in the coleslaw mix that I’d need to make sure and add too?

Do you have the calorie count for this salad?

Outstanding! I love the white vinegar. I’m going to make it today with rice vinegar and add some sliced almonds and mandarin oranges for sweetness. Wonderful recipe! Thanks for sharing! This is going to be a standard at our house!

Hi!
    I love, love, love this recipe! I tweak it a bit but that is only because I like it a bit more tort (pinch of lime juice, a table spoon of Mirin, etc…). I don’t always use chicken and will saute shrimp or broil up salmon.
    I also keep it just mixed up in a Ziploc bag and have it for a nice handy lunch – I just love this!
    I would love to have the nutritional values if you have them?
    Thanks!

Mamateach4 says:

This looks yummy! Do you know how many calories a serving would be?

Do you put the dressing on right before serving? I’ve made a similar version, and you add the dressing with the rest of the ingredients, so I wasn’t sure.

Love your version of this recipe! I made yours tonight for my husband…I exchanged rice wine vinegar for the white vinegar and added a little lime juice and toasted sesame oil to the dressing. The result was delicious! My husband said this recipe was a keeper! Thanks so much for sharing and for inspiring me today!

What is the calorie count on this salad (per serving)?