Let me start out by saying that this recipe is INCREDIBLE! … Seriously, it is one of my favorite new dinners and it is EXTREMELY EASY to make!
My husband said it reminded him exactly of his favorite pizza from one of his favorite spots to eat in his hometown in Arizona, the Rainforest Cafe. He loved it and probably would have eaten them all himself if I hadn’t reserved a couple for me and the kids :) He already scheduled it to be on the menu again next week. I love when I make something that has my husband going off about how good it is from his first bite.
That being said, we are going to have a “real” moment right now.
This picture will prove there is a reason I am still a “Chef in Training.” I goofed.
I got so excited to have this dinner ready for my hubby when he got home from work, that I completely spaced to put the cheese INSIDE the calzone…. oops :) Has this happened to anyone else?! Well, you can imagine my frustration when I realized this as they were already in the oven baking….
So once they were done, what did I do?!… Sprinkled some cheese on top and let it bake at a lower temp until the cheese had melted. You really could cut back on the calories and skip the cheese (I did for mine and it was still DELICIOUS) but my hubby loves cheese… in fact, the more cheese-the better for him… so this is what we got. The end result was STILL FANTASTIC! But I definitely don’t think I will forget again!
I highly debated just waiting until I made this recipe again to post a new picture, but I still like the picture and I want you to know that goofing while cooking happens to all of us. You are not alone.
BBQ Chicken Calzones
By July 19, 2012Published:
- Yield: 6 calzones Servings
This recipe is extremely easy to throw together, has the perfect combination of flavors and is one your entire family will love!
- 12 frozen Rhodes dinner rolls thawed to room temp.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (may need a little more or less depending on your preference)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped (if you don't like cilantro, it is fine to leave it out. I LOVE the flavor it adds)
- 1/2 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place one frozen Rhodes dinner roll in each cup of a muffin tin. Cover with a light towel and let thaw to room temp and rise slightly.
- Roll each roll out as far as it can go. You want them pretty thin.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's) on 6 of the 12 rolled dough pieces, leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch border of dough on the outside.
- Place as much cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken as desired (about 1/4 cup for each calzone).
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of chopped red onion over the tops of the chicken.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of cilantro over the top of the onion.
- Sprinkled with shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1/8-1/4 cup per calzone).
- Make sure none of the filling touches 1/4-1/2 inch dough boarder you left around the outside of your 6 calzones. Place a rolled out dough on top of each of your calzones and seal it up. Make sure it is sealed TIGHTLY so that none of the filling leaks out.
- Place the 6 calzones on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden in color.
We like to dip our calzones in a BBQ Ranch. To make BBQ Ranch, simply mix equal proportions of your favorite ranch dressing and favorite BBQ sauce. (My favorite ranch is Litehouse Buttermilk Ranch and my favorite BBQ sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s)