Easy 7-Up Marinade

Family recipes may be my favorite recipes ever!  My grandma passed down this recipe to me. I am not sure where she got it from, but it made into one of her two GIANT cookbooks she gave me when I went to college.  Both she and my mom make this marinade all the time, because really, it is SO easy AND tastes amazing!  I like to credit its amazing flavor to the 7-Up :)  Now that we finally have a grill, I make it all the time for a quick, easy and delicious dinner.

Easy 7-Up Marinade

Easy 7-Up Marinade

By Chef in Training June 7, 2012

An easy and delicious marinade that is jam-packed with amazing flavor!

1. In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together.
  2. Trim Chicken and poke holes with fork.
  3. Place chicken in a 9x13 and pour marinade over top and cover. Place in fridge.
  4. Marinade 8 hours or overnight
  5. Grill chicken and eat up!

Comments

How much chicken do you normally marinate with this?

I did four large chicken breasts in mine because that is what would fit in my 9×13. You could probably get 5-6 normal sized chicken breasts into the 9×13.

YES!! This is amazing. My mom used a variant of this (no horseradish, but added salt and pepper) and it was awesome! It’s also great on beef, as well!

Lisa W. says:

Would this work with diet/sugar free 7 Up?

No I don’t think it will work as well. The sugars in regular soda help with caramelizing and you don’t really get that with High Intensity Sweeteners that come in Diet sodas. If you do end up trying it, let me know how it tastes and turns out for you :)

Cheryl Webb says:

Hi Nikki
    I love your recipes – so easy and delicious!! Thank you for posting all of them!!

With this one, could you also cook the chicken in the oven after you’ve marinated it, instead of grilling it??

Thanks again!

I am sure you could! I haven’t tried it but sounds yummy! Let me know how it goes for you if you try it :)

I love all of those ingredients. Sound delicious!

sounds amazing but it seems like a lot of oil. do you think it would work with less?

I am sure you can cut it back! But all it does is soak in it. A lot of the marinade gets thrown out so not all the oil is used. But I am sure you can cut it back if you wanted to without any problems :)

I love that this recipe has horseradish -

Kathleen says:

I only have diet 7-up, BUT I do have a 2-liter bottle of Mountain Dew that I bought to kill some wasps without chemicals (thanks, guy at Home Depot). So . . . I am going to use that and see how it turns out!

oh man – you keep adding to my recipe try to do list! this sound super yummy!

Could you substitute sprite for the 7Up?

Looks delish!! I am pinning this!

Ashley

Hi there,
    I’ve NEVER used horseradish in any recipe and have no idea if my family or I will like it. Can I leave it out and still have great tasting chicken? Or was the “optional” message just for the brand?

I use 7-up or sprite when I marinate my meat. (pork or chicken). I put soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, garlic and a little bit of canola oil. It’s my family’s favorite marinate recipe. When I didn’t have 7-up or sprite I used Dr Pepper and it tasted really good, too! We couldn’t tell the difference.

This recipe is absolutely mouth-watering Nikki! I’m going to have to try this ASAP!

My family loved this chicken recipe. The flavor was delicious. I was a little worried that it might be too sweet with the 7-Up, but it wasn’t at all. 4/4 of us liked this recipe and asked me to keep it on the remake list. Thanks again for another great recipe.

Great recipe! I wanted to let you know I featured you here http://www.recipechatter.com/recipes-using-soda

Have a great day!

I am going to try the 7up marinade, but need to know how to scale the ingredients for 9 chicken breasts.

Thanks!