My family is split when it comes to pies. There are those who are like my mom and love the cream pies… chocolate, coconut, etc and those that are like my dad and like the fruit pies… apple, cherry, etc. Then there are people like me and my husband who could do without pie. I know, we are crazy. They just seem like so much work and I am not a fan of making homemade pie crust. I will if needs be, but I’d rather fill my cooking time with things like brownies or cookies.
When I saw this recipe for egg roll apple pies from Spoon Fork Bacon, it immediately caught my attention. I didn’t have to make a pie crust to enjoy apple pie?! WHAT?! Okay, then. I was determined to give it a shot. These are seriously so good and extremely easy to make. Enjoy them! My family sure did!
(Note, you should expect them to be a little crunchier than typical apple pie because they are made with egg roll wrappers, but I think it puts a whole new fun spin on traditional apple pie!)
- 2 apples, 1 granny smith and 1 gala (about 2 heaping cups worth)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- cinnamon, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Peel and chop up apples. Put chopped apples in a medium bowl and add remaining filling ingredients to bowl and stir together until well combined. Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place one egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface. Using a clean finger, brush edges of the egg roll wrapper with egg wash.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the filling across one side of the prepared egg roll wrapper. You do not want to over stuff these.
- Fold the sides over and brush with egg wash. Carefully roll filling tightly in the wrapper and press gently to seal.
- Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and coat with a thin layer of cooking spray. Repeat until all the filling and wrappers have been used.
- Bake egg rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. During the last 5 minutes of cook time, pull out and brush with a little melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Put back in oven for remaining 5 minutes. Serve immediately with sweetened whipped cream.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream until it starts to thicken. As the mixture thickens, slowly add sugar until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form. I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top as well.
recipe slightly adapted from: Spoon Fork Bacon