Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

I owe my mom for finding this recipe for me!  I have been so busy back and forth from the hospital that she has  been such a help in having dinner ready for me when I go home to feed my baby.  She made this for dinner, and I kid you not, every single person in my family LOVED it!  And I mean everyone… My mom, dad, my brother, my two sisters, my brother in law, AND my picky 2 year old!  My husband probably would have loved it too had he not been on a diet restriction at the time!  This meal is SO easy to throw together (aren’t all crock pot meals?!) and has such a great flavor!  Try it out… You are going to LOVE it!

CROCK POT HONEY SESAME CHICKEN
recipe form: Baby Center

(we doubled the original recipe, and even then we still wanted more! This is the doubled recipe)

2.5 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thighs would be fine too)
Salt and pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons diced onion
4 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoon canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
Sesame seeds
Season both sides of chicken with lightly with salt and pepper, put into crock pot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce.
Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
Cut chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles.

Linking up to these parties and here

Comments

This sounds great! Love that the sweetness comes strictly from the honey!

I have seen this recipe all over the internet lately. I really need to try it. Looks amazing.

Sounds delicious. But the recipe calls for 4 tsp of cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tbsp of water, but the instructions only list 2 tsp cornstarch with 3 Tbsp water. I'm assuming that when you doubled the ingredient list, you forgot to update the instructions, but I just want to make sure before I make this.

In your ingredients you say 4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water but in your directions you use half, which is it?

Sorry, forgot to double instructions. It is 4 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tbsp water.

This looks soooo good!! thanks for sharing! thinking about you !!

Does it need to be canola oil or will olive oil or smart balance omaga oil work as well?

I have this on my list to make and finally got all the ingredients! I've seen this recipe everywhere lately! I'm glad it was good!

yummy. Love me some asian inspired food. delicious!

Thanks, I appreciate the prompt response. Making this tonight!

This sounds wonderful! And I would just like to say 'hats off to you lady', despite Hubby's illness and all the hospital visits and worries you've had you're still here everyday with your wonderful recipes.I hope things are improving every day for you guys. xx

Hi,What a great recipe!!! I love how you laid out the recipe!!! Very easy to get around. I'll definitely spread the word.Please keep it comin!P.S.I've already book marked your post.

Oh wow, that sounds {and looks} amazing!!!

Whew! Good to know!

This sounds amazing!! I will definitely be making this soon! :)

It sounds luscious!

Oh boy, that looks and sounds good! Let me wipe my drool….:O)

Anybody know how many calories a serving is?

OMG this looks delicious!! Definitely going to try to make this! Thanks for sharing! xoxo Reannah @Shaped by Grace

Could you cut the chicken into bite-size pieces before you put it in the crockpot (I do this with my Reuben Chicken recipe)?

What kind of noodles would you suggest? Thanks!

Yum, that looks so delicious! I will definitely be adding this to my "must try" list.

Oh wow this looks so delicious! Sesame Chicken is one of my absolute favorites, and this looks amazing!

Yup, that's going on the to-do list.-h

made this tonight, so easy & wicked yummy!! LOVE!!

That looks awesome! I would love for you to share it (and any other creations) at my new linky party- "Pin It and Win It Wednesday" @ http://www.cheapcraftymama.com!

Oh YUM!

Sounds great! Making this tonight for tomorrow. How many does the original recipe (without doubling) serve?

chow mein (chinese noodles) are great with this chicken! there are many recipes online to make the noodles.http://chinesefood.about.com/od/vegetablesrecipes/r/chowmein.htm

I always want to do that as it seems like a major time saver, but have read that it dries out the chicken. Have heard the same thing in re: to making pulled pork. Its suggested to wait until the end.

This comment has been removed by the author.

Oh my goodness. I cooked this last night and it was DELICIOUS! Can't wait to cook it again. I diced the chicken so was able to cook on the hob for about 20-30 mins. I also used olive oil instead of canola. Everything was wonderful and the chicken wasn't dry. Served with egg fried rice. Yummy. Thanks so much for this recipe. xx

Looking forward to making this one! I sure hope things are going ok with your hubby. I worry about your little family when I see guest posts. I hope you are enjoying family time & that your husband gets healthy soon! Praying for you all! :)~Amber (Dessert Now, Dinner Later!)

This look so good! I'm going to have to try this recipe tonight! Pinning for reference so I don't forget!

Love this dish as a take out can't wait to try it at home. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

I did when I made it and it turned out great.

8 servings at 351 calories using light soy sauce

This looks super yummy AND I LOVE crock-pot recipes :)I'm going to have to give it a try!! Ruthie (whatscookingwithruthie.com)

Did this tonight. I cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and it did not dry out, it was perfect if that helps anyone. Also I didn't have canola I used sunflower oil. And I didn't have red pepper flakes or anything like so I added 4 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce! Then I found pepper flakes and added just a pinch! Dish turned out perfectly, had guests in and they ALL had second helpings and the dishes were totally cleaned!Thanks for this one…definitely a keeper!

Yup I cut mine up too and it was perfect!

I don't keep canola so I used sunflower oil…worked fine! I also threw in 4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce as I didn't have red pepper flakes! Delicious! hope this helps

Thanks for asking this question….I wondered about cutting the chicken into pieces too.Also thanks for the recipe…my Daughter is expecting and I'm busy making meals for her so she doesn't have to cook when she goes home from work at night. I love these crock pot/slow cooker recipes.

I made this and the fam loved it!! Thanks!! This is being featured today at {Junk in their Trunk}…thanks for linking up!

I'm making a variation of this right now. Here are my changes:-using bone in skin on chicken drums-roasting in the oven with the sauce rather than in crock pot.-added grated ginger to the mix-omitted the chili flakes because I didn't have any.It smells lovely, can't wait til it's done to try it. Going to thicken the sauce and use it over basmati rice and serve with sauteed asparagus…yum!

YUM YUM YUM!!!

I made this last week for my husband and me. Absolutely loved it. I didn't have red pepper flakes, only crushed red pepper. I may have added a bit too much, but the spice added a little extra. I also think that adding water chestnuts would add another texture and would absorb a lot of the left over sauce. Overall, delicious! Thank you

This looks so yummy and easy, we are trying it this week. I have featured this today in my pins of the week, feel free to check it outhttp://michellescraft.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/pins-of-week.htmlThanks for sharing :)

Yummy, thanks for the recipe!Jenhttp://scissorsandspatulas.com/

Sounds amazing, definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing!I featured your recipe on my blog today, come check it out:http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/04/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-29.html

Hi. It sound delicious! Can you leave it for more than 3 or 4 hours on low. I am a working mom with 2 little ones and love using the crockpot on work nights….thanks!

Trying this this week! Thanks!

Is this really 25 pounds? How many chicken breasts is that? I want to make sure before I alter the recipe to a smaller scale. Can someone please help me with this. I only usually cook about 2-4 chicken breasts in my crockpot at a time. Thanks

No it is 2 and a half pounds. Sorry the “.” in between looked like part of the 2.

Lol..it’s not 25 pounds it’s 2.5 which is 2 and 1/2 pounds….depending on size of each breast you use 2 to 4 chicken breast…Hope this helped.

Used this recipe tonight! Substituted olive oil for the canola oil and crushed red pepper for the red pepper flakes. Was amazing with brown rice, broccoli, and garlic cheddar biscuits!! Great recipe!!! Yum!

I am making this for my husband and I tonight for dinner. He love sesame chicken and I normally won’t eat it because I don’t like the breaded chicken so I am super excited to try this! Sounds delic and serving it with edamame!

Just made this for a quick late dinner. I added a little ginger (because I feel that every Asian dish is better with ginger) and it’s fantastic! Thanks for the recipe!

jennifer says:

Do you suggest doubling the sauce recipe??? Or is the above enough?? Making tonight and want to make sure I have enough, but done want to much left over :)

Ashley says:

My sauce only got watered down even more when u added the corn starch and water.. 4tsp starch to 6 tbsp water? Didn’t ever thicken up… Help? Stil delicious though!

lisadimer says:

Looking forward to cooking this tomorrow night

Made this tonight….the flavor was great, but my sauce was not think at all, even after adding the cornstarch mixture. Its color was not nearly like that of the picture – I’m guessing b/c it was much more liquid-y. Would love suggestions from others on how they thickened their sauce! Thanks!

Made this last week. Added a bit of ginger and it was wonderful. I did use slightly less water to get a thicker sauce based on previous comments.

I don’t have any soy sauce, so I substituted Ken’s Steakhouse Lite Asian Sesame with Ginger and Soy. WOW!! I can not stop licking the bowl! Can not wait for the chicken to cook!

Michelle says:

My family loved this and my husband suggested adding a little bit of peanut butter. Made for more of a Thai flavor. We put it over brown rice and make lots of broccoli so each family member can add it or have it on the side.

Made this for supper tonight and it was awesome! The kids ran off to friend’s house but I’m sure there will be nothing left when I get home from my knitting group to night!

mom1424 says:

We love Sesame chicken at our house so was anxious to make this. It really was not good at all.–nothing like Sesame chicken at Chinese resturant. My husband and I could hardly eat it.

Stefanie Ellinwood says:

Do the sesame seeds add any flavor? Love sesame chicken and would love to make it but husband has diverticulitis and seeds make it flare up so I’d want to leave those out…thanks!

This sounds fantastic and I plan on making it Monday. You have a great site here….keep it up! You remind me of me when I was your age :)

Toni Knish says:

Sounds awesome!! I am defrosting chicken as we speak…May I suggest one addition? Reduce the cannola oil by 1 tsp use Sesame oil!

This recipe sounded delicious, but I was really disappointed in the final result. I deleted it f rom my recipe box

Christy B. says:

Is there a special reason why you didn’t like it? If so, please post something so that we know what to make differently for the family so they will like it more.

(In response to Jeanne that posted July 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM)

I made this last night…I halved the recipe because I currently cook for 2 people. I was hesitant when I mixed the sauce that the soy sauce would overpower it….but it was REALLY good! The sauce took a little longer then my impatient personality cared for….but my fiancé ate 3 helpings!

Christy B. says:

This sounds totally great! We’re going to try it tomorrow. I’m a lover of Chinese food (well…Americanized-Chinese) and this really sounds great. Is there a way to bread the chicken?

Christy B. says:

Again I will post, it looks so delicious!! I could eat it right off the page!!! I will post again once I cook, hopefully it will be good! I wonder if I could feed it to my cat….hmm…..she loves to meow when she smells our chicken and turkey and fish cooking! I can almost smell the sesame chicken right off the page……yum….sesame chicken is my favorite Chinese chicken…so of course I will post over and over. Thanks for sharing the recipe, looks scrumptious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The recipe didn’t contain any sesame except for the sesame seed garnish, so I swapped out half the canola oil for sesame oil. I also added a pinch of ground ginger. The flavor was excellent!

Christy B. says:

Hi everyone again!!!
    We are about to start eating. It smells pretty good, but even though I’ve put the cornstarch in, it doesn’t look like it’s thickening any…..I tasted it. It’s pretty good, but there’s not enough honey and too much soy sauce. My rice was a failure, so I hope it’ll taste OK for my family. Might try this again….

I made this tonight and LOVED it!!! I also made a lo mein inspired noodle dish. I took a few shortcuts to save time though. I had frozen chicken breasts and in an attempt to save time, I boiled them for about 30 minutes. I made the sauce while the chicken was boiling. I removed the chicken breasts from the stock (keep the stock!)and cut the chicken into chunks and put it into the crock pot and topped it with the sauce. I also did not remove the chicken before adding the cornstarch mixture…I just poured it on top and stirred it a bit and it thickened nicely in a matter of minutes. For my lo mein noodles, I put a small amount of canola oil into a pan and stir fried fresh cabbage (cut into about one inch pieces), julienned carrots, a small Vidalia Onion (chopped), salt, pepper, and a splash of soy sauce until the veggies were tender crisp. I boiled whole wheat spaghetti noodles in the chicken stock for extra flavor. I drained the noodles and added them to the veggies and added another splash of soy sauce. I served the honey sesame chicken on top of the noodles. It was incredible!!!! The family LOVED it and said this recipe is definitely a KEEPER!!

Made this tonight for the first time. It was quite tasty even though the sauce didn’t really thicken up all that well. I used frozen chicken breasts and they worked out fine, but I bet it would be a bit better with fresh so that the salt and pepper could really be rubbed in better. Thanks for sharing it! Will make it again sometime. :)

Marianne says:

This look SO tasty! I want to make it tomorrow for dinner but I forgot to get the chicken out of the freezer. Would this work with frozen chicken put directly in the crock pot? Thanks !

Marianne, did you ever get a reply about making this with frozen chicken? We really want to try it, but my chicken is frozen. Not sure how long I should cook it to be sure it’s cooked through.

so i was wondering if flour in stead of corn starch is ok? i ran out and really dont want to run to get it …

A PRINTABLE version would be good so people don’t end up with 29 colorful pages of useless information.

I love this recipe! I am actually trying this yummy dish tonight for me and my hunny=)

made tonight, fantastic! cutting up chicken before cut cooking time in half! i used low sodium soy sauce, and i’m glad i did..i think it would’ve been too salty if i hadn’t. this one’s a keeper! :)

Looks yummy. I’m thinking I might add some broccoli flourettes (or broccoli rabe) about three hours into the four-hour cooking time.

Tried it tonight – much too sweet for us.

Made this last week and my husband looooved it!! Absolutely delish and so easy! I love all of your recipes!

Say no more… This is on my list to make for the family. Thanks for sharing.

Velva

Please add a print app so we can print off recipe easily – would be helpful – thanks.

I found this recipe about four months ago and made it and LOVED it. I’ve been looking everywhere for it. SO glad I finally found it! It’s definitely a repeat recipe in my book :)

Did anyone else have a problem with fatty chicken bits floating in their sauce? My sauce is full of chicken fat! What did I do wrong :(

I think my crock pot got way too hot. Has anyone else bought a crock pot recently and felt they get way too hot? I’m so sad this didn’t turn out but I’m sure it was user error. I hope to try again sometime.

I just made this, I loved that it could cook quickly on high, but the chicken was not nearly done after 2 1/2 hours. I expected the sauce to thicken more, as well. It smells delicious, however, and it looks nicer than take out. Thank you for the recipe!!

How many servings was this for the doubled recipe?

A chilly , rainy day here in New York….perfect day to break out the crock pot and try this yummy receipe !!! Thanks for sharing !

Made this for dinner tonight…….Thought they were going to lick the crock pot clean !!!! It’s a winner !!!

SUPER GOOD!!! Sauce didn’t thicken up quite as much as I thought it might, but it was tasty nonetheless, He LOVED it! Add more red pepper flakes or some hot chili paste if you liked it more hot and spicy.

I made this tonight and it was yummy! Few words of advice. This is not a set and forget it recipe. The fest time I tried this I left for a dr appt and it was in the pot for like 5-1/2 hrs. It was burnt! So reset! Tonight we really love it the only issues was the sauce not thickening so I poured it in a sauce pan and did it the old fashion way! Next time I might try to cut the sweet just a bit more. Other than that it was fabulous!

FANTASTIC meal. My kids and husband gobbled it up. For our next football party I may try this using chicken wings for an app. THANKS!

The flavor was great! Until I added the corn starch mixture! It made my sauce runny and the flavor weird :(. Going to try it again but not use the corn starch mixture, the sauce was pretty thick without it.

Fam,faith,n'food says:

Linz,
      After you add the cornstarch, you need to bring the mixture up to a full boil for it to thicken. Also, (and I’m sure this wasn’t what happened to you) ANY saliva in the bowl or the spoon, or anything that touches the cornstarch mixture will break down the cornstarch so that it won’t thicken. I’ve been taught to use a 1:1 ratio for cornstarch to water, as opposed to the almost 1:4 ratio used in this recipe, which might be the culprit of the lack of thickening going on. I would cut down on the water, or increase the cornstarch.

Made this tonight with my boyfriend, but made alterations since we don’t have a crock pot right now. He grilled the chicken while I cooked the sauce in a pan on the stove top. We diced the grilled chicken and tossed it in the sauce, and let me tell you, it was DELICIOUS and reminded me of General Tso chicken! I will definitely be making this again, I just may add more spice to cut down on the sweetness of the honey. Also, we didn’t have any corn starch, but I found the consistency without it to be fine.

Came across the recipe today and It’s already in the crock pot! Looks (and smells so far) great! Cannot wait to taste the outcome!

i made this for a potluck and it was good!, but i changed a lot of things, i used less honey to cut down on the sweetness and it was still pretty sweet, i used half olive oil half sesame oil because the only thing sesame in this recipe are the seeds, i used half soy sauce and half liquid aminos so it wouldnt be so salty, i grated about a teaspoon of fresh ginger, i also used 3 cloves of garlic and about 5 or 6 tablespoons of chili paste. everyone loved it!

This sounds excellent! Much better sounding than Chinese take-out…

Fam,faith,n'food says:

Betcha this would taste even more “sesame-ish” if I use a little sesame oil in place of part of the canola. Hmmm. I’m going to try it. The recipe sounds so delish already, though!!! And, so easy.

Just pulled my chicken out… Unfortunately, I think I left it in too long, as it is shredding like when I make tacos. I had frozen chicken, so I cooked it on low for 4 hours…. I thought that would be fine. SO, if you are using frozen chicken, I would cook on low, and start checking around 3 hours just as using non frozen chicken. Still tastes yummy though :) just wish I checked earlier :(

Midwest Momma says:

Made this for dinner yet again tonight. Very yummy!!!!

hello! love your site! i subbed sirachi sauce for the ketchup – it was delicious!!!

Katie Parker says:

I’ve made it twice now and learned to cut my chicken before putting it in the crock pot because it’s so tender it just falls apart when you try and cut it after cooking! DELICIOUS recipe…one of my husband’s faves!!!

Am I the only one who had to use more cornstarch? My sauce refused to thicken!! Other than that, it was delicious =] Next time, I’m going to make homemade fried rice to go with it

Very good, kids loved it. I sauteed some veggies on the stove to mix in. I used sesame oil instead of canola. Also strained sauce after removing chicken because of the chicken bits floating around, my kids would not eat those. Also thickened sauce on the stove as it didn’t thicken in the crockpot. Tip for thickening: normally you make a cornstarch slurry with 1 T cornstarch mixed into 1 T cold water per cup of sauce you are trying to thicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. After thickening I mixed in veggies and chicken.

This is sooooo good! I’m getting ready to make it for the second time. I made the chicken on the stove and the sauce and skipped the cornstarch. The red pepper was great, it added a good amount of heat. I highly recommend!

This looks delicious. Will be trying it for sure. Thanks… found your blog through a link on Running with the Girls.

I just removed the chicken from the crockpot. I added the cornstarch. I’m cooking rice and steaming broccoli. I had myself a little taste of the chicken. HOLY WOW!!! My kids are going to love this!!! The great thing about this, it uses ingredients that I have in my pantry! Bonus!!

Well, you’re 2/2! Thanks for the delicious recepie! Used EVOO instead of canola, so delish! My only complaint is that my stomach hurts from eating so much ;)

Making this tonight – going to use the suggestion of reducing the water a little and subbing in sesame oil for at least part of the oil – want to know has anyone tried adding broccoli right in the crock pot? trying to make this a truly “one dish” meal….? I’m thinking of throwing chopped broccoli and maybe some shredded carrots in for the last 30 min of cooking? any feedback or suggestions on that idea would be greatly appreciated…..

Just made this tonight. It’s a keeper for sure. Wasn’t able to use the crock pot, so I made it in my electric skillet and then served it over Jasmine Rice. Turned out excellent!!!

With the double recipe does tht make 8 or 16 servings?

I’m just curious if the picture you have representing Crockpot Honey Sesame Chicken is your actual pic after making this

We had this for dinner tonight and it was SOOOOOO good!! Way better than take out!

Made this tonight and the hubs and I absoutly love this!!! 1st time I have left a comment anywhere but this deserves it…making it again soon..YUMMY!!!

I just made this for my family the other night we all loved it. Loved the flavor an very easy. The sauce was a little thinner than what we would like any suggestions on what to add to thicken it up?

Have this in the crockpot right now! Can’t wait to try it :)
    For those of you having trouble with the sauce thickening, you might want to try dissolving the cornstarch in some of the sauce mixture taken out of the crockpot, instead of adding additional water. That way you’re really just adding cornstarch and not additional liquid.
    Thanks for the recipe!

Alyssa P. says:

This was absolutely delicious! The amount of water in the recipe to dissolve corn starch keeps the sauce from thickening, so I would recommend using the least amount of water to dissolve the corn starch as possible.

This was super good and super easy! Both kids loved it and one is a very picky eater. I added some broccoli which went well with the chicken. I took about half a cup of the sauce combined with about 6-8 tsps of cornstarch and put it on the stove over medium heat and thickened it up that way. I poured it back into the crockpot and that seemed to help. I don’t think the sauce is meant to be super thick like at an asian restaurant (where it’s almost like a scary jelly substance) because the chicken is pretty sweet without a lot of sauce on it. Thank you for the recipe! I love your blog!

karen hunt says:

Yowser!!!! this was sooo wonderful & sooo easy!!! never again spending $40 on take-out!!! i had everything i needed on-hand, threw it into the crockpot & “whalah!!’ ” Thank you sweetie!!!

I made this for dinner tonight…I Love it!!! and for sure will make it again.

Just made it and it was delish! Thanks for the recipe.

Tried this dish tonight…..it’s a keeper! Adding it to the permanent recipe file (which only consists of tried and fab recipes). Thanks for sharing!

Tried this….loved it! Into the permanent collection it goes! Will make some slight modifications in future to adjust for personal taste and thickening . Hammy!

Great idea my wife told me about Penerest I would like to cook some of the recipes.

alexandra says:

This was absolutely amazing and so easy to make. Thank you so much for the recipe!

I made this today in advance of my Dad’s birthday lunch tomorrow. I tasted it and it’s awesome. I cut up the chicken before I put it into the crock pot and it was done in 3 hours. I used half EVOO and half sesame oil and added grated fresh ginger. The sauce I eventually put on the stove to thicken. I believe it will be a hit tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks for a great recipe. I’m very excited to try it! Has anyone tried to put everything together, freeze, and then cook in the crockpot?

Diane Murray says:

This recipe sounds like something everyone in my family will love as well. The bonus is I can cook it in my slow cooker while I do other things. The recipe along with the graphic picture of this dish makes me actually imagine what it will taste like. Ummmm!

Thank you, your recipes are fabulous!

how many servings does this make? thank you!

Kristine says:

I made this tonight without the red pepper flakes and I wish I had added them! I can’t handle very spicy foods, but this could have used a little kick to balance out the sweetness. Thanks for a great recipe!

I stumbled across this recipe a few nights ago and made it tonight for dinner. I would absolutely make this again! The sauce is perfection (who would have thought that soy sauce, honey and ketchup would blend so well?!) and having the chicken on top of a bed rice with a side of broccoli rounded everything perfectly. Thanks for the recipe, it’s a definite keeper :)

sheila eigenberger says:

I made this dish on Sunday and I made a small modification. I added a few drops of sesame oil and it made the sesame flavor pop. Next time I make this I will cube my chicken first and then cook.; unfortunately mine shredded when I tried to cut it. I loved the simplicity and the taste. My husband gave the me the go ahead to add it to my dinner rotation..

Lisa Kenahan says:

WoW! This recipe is going into my super delicious and extremely easy recipe file! I only made a few modifications to the recipe (due to available ingredients in my pantry). I read quite a few of the comments from others, so I felt comfortable adding the on-hand ingredients. I doubled the batch (glad I did). Browned all of my chicken breasts first. Replaced the ketchup with Heinz Chili Sause (6 T). Used equal amounts of olive oil and sesame oil (only one tablespoon each for the double batch). Adding 8 thickly sliced pieces of fresh ginger. I used one cup of equal parts honey and agave. Instead of adding water to the constarch to thicken the liquid mixture, I added equal parts of cornstarch and the liquid from the pot to make a slurry…. And, are you ready for the super secret timesaver step? I use my electric pressure cooker (8 mins on high) … the chicken is soooooooo moist and juicy! I served the chicken over steamed broccoli …. OMG!!!! A keeper recipe for certain! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Nikki! : )

This was delicious! I omitted the ketchup (can’t stand the stuff) and the cornstarch (I prefer thinner sauces) and added a half-cup of freshly chopped pineapple. It was fantastic! Boyfriend agreed.

Carolyn says:

We’ve made this recipe a few times and love it!!! I’m always trying to find good, flavorful Asian recipes to make. The only thing I altered after the first time was that I toasted the sesame seeds in a skillet per directions on the sesame seed bottle and then just tossed the seeds in the finished chicken in the crockpot. It added a new dimension to the flavor with the toasted flavor. Otherwise, the seeds are just crunchy but have no taste.

Cherie Ann says:

Just made this on the stove instead of in the crockpot. It was still delicious. Served it with some take out eggrolls and got nothing but compliments. Thanks!

Rachael says:

I just made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! I will definitely be making this again!

can’t wait to make this! if i’m just cooking for a family of four should i cut the recipe in half or double it like you did?

i am planning on making this for a family of 4. should i not double the recipe just for 4 people? thanks!

I love your site. Being new to crockpot cooking your site was a great find.

Can I cook and freeze the Sesame Chicken?

I had this tonight, and it was absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing!

This was so good. Big hit, everyone loved it. Even the picky 9yo.

Hi Nikki, thanks for the wonderful recipe. I’ve been looking for some slow cooker recipes (I’ve only ever used my slow cooker to make beef stew) and I tried the honey sesame chicken on my boyfriend this weekend :) lets just say I’ll be doubling the recipe next time!
    Nicky

thankx for sharing crock pot honey sesame chicken :)

I made this twice. We really enjoy it. First time on low and was great but sauce did not thicken up. Second time did on high and checked after 1 1/2 hours. Good thing – chicken would have been dry if I had left it any longer. Used more cornstarch second time and sauce still didn’t thicken up.

i was just wondering how many people this feeds?

Trying this tonight. Looks good and all the reviews seem to support that too:)

Sally Abbott says:

This is GREAT. My family loves it. For those whose sauce is not thickening up, remember if you use frozen chicken pieces, there will be extra liquid from the chicken as it cooks, making your sauce thiner than the original recipe. Which means it will take more of a thickening agent than the recipe calls for to thicken the sauce.

If you don’t have ketchup can you sub tomato paste??

I love Sesame Chicken, but it gets to be very expensive to buy it at the store. Love that this is a crockpot recipe!

Does this freeze well?

I made this last night and it was too sweet for my picky eaters. It was sweeter than I would like, but I didn’t think it was bad. Next time I’ll just use less honey!

Made this for tonight’s dinner can’t wait to try it looks amazing and smells great!!!!