OH. MY. GOSH.
These cookies are WONDERFUL!
This is another recipe from my grandma’s cookbook, but I added a little something to make them extra special, Caramel Frosting. Where to begin on the Caramel Frosting?!…I used this recipe for my Apple Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Frosting, but I don’t think I gushed enough about how DELICIOUS this frosting is.Hands down, my new FAVORITE frosting. I could lick the bowl clean after making this frosting. It is unique and absolutely mouthwatering. Combine this amazing frosting with the flavor from the Applesauce cookies and you get a match made in Heaven. These cookies are very similar to the Banana Cookie recipe. The dough is dropped by the spoonful onto the cookie sheets, rather than rolled into a ball.If you haven’t already made your neighborhood gifts or need a cookie for a cookie exchange, then you should definitely try these out! Even if you have already done those things, still try this cookie out. You won’t be disappointed. It is AMAZING! Trust me!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. cloves
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening together.
- Add eggs and applesauce and mix well.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Drop small spoonfuls of batter on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare frosting.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, heavy cream and brown sugar.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture just begins to boil; remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool, then stir in the powdered sugar.
- Spread frosting over cookies
(Frosting recipe adapted from Let’s Dish)