I come from a long line of coconut lovers in my family…on both sides of my family actually. I must have missed the memo, because coconut can be hard for me to swallow sometimes, literally. I don’t know if its the texture, the shape… who really knows, alls I’m saying is- different strokes for different folks.
That being said, you add sweetened condensed milk and chocolate to coconut and suddenly coconut and I are best friends. Its a strange relationship we have. These Coconut Bars have been in my family since I can remember. They are in my grandma’s cookbook she gives all the grandkids. I made these for a family down the street and had to get them out of my house. After my third one it was time for them to go and taunt someone else ;-)
Coconut Chocolate Bars
By April 25, 2013
- Yield: 20 Servings
Coconut combines with sweetened condensed milk and brownies to create a jaw-dropping dessert that is so simple to make!
IngredientsPrint This Recipe
- 1 box Devils Food Cake Mix dry
- 1/3 cup butter softened, NOT melted
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, butter and slightly beaten egg. Mix until crumbly but crumbs stick together.
- Press batter on the bottom of a ungreased 9x13 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, egg and vanilla. Beat for 3 minutes.
- After beating sweetened condensed mixture, stir in 1 cup coconut, chopped pecans and chocolate chips until evenly mixed.
- Spread evenly over cake mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining 1/2 cup of coconut.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes on center rack of oven.
- When done, remove pan from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting.
If you like these, then you will LOVE: