It is summer time which usually means we are all out enjoying the outdoors! On days I know we are going to be gone for a few hours at a time, I love to do crock pot dinners. This one is absolutely delicious and comes from the 365 Days of Slow-Cooking Cookbook (one of my personal favs!). It is super easy, requiring little work, and the end product is absolutely delicious!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushrooms
By June 17, 2012Published:
An easy meal that is jam-packed with flavor!
- 1 onion minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed of fat
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb. mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the onion, garlic, oil, tomato paste and thyme; cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring every minute, until onions are tender. Pour into slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Stir the chicken, mushrooms, broth, vinegar and tapioca into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken; use two forks and break it into large pieces. (this is optional, I left mine whole)
- Remove fat from surface of sauce with a large spoon.
- Place chicken back into the slow cooker. Add the evaporated milk, cheese and parsley.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve over rice or pasta.
recipe from: 365 Days of Slow-Cooking Cookbook by Karen Bellessa Peterson