I have been eyeing this breakfast cake from Alexandra’s Kitchen for a while now and finally cracked down and had to make it! It is absolutely WONDERFUL! I love breakfast cakes and the blueberries and buttermilk in this cake make it extra special :)
Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake
By May 20, 2012Published:
I have been eyeing this breakfast cake from Alexandra's Kitchen for a while now and finally cracked down and had to make it! It is …
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 7/8 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter and 7/8 cup sugar until light and fluffy. (7/8 cup equals 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp.)
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
recipe adapted from Alexandra’s Kitchen