Pudding Cookies

My mom first introduced me to “pudding cookies.”
I love them because they are super moist and have a great flavor!
You can also add basically anything to them. I mostly do chocolate chips, but you can chop up your favorite candy bar, add M&Ms, or really do whatever you like.
These cookies are some of the softest cookies you will find!

Click HERE to see even more fun and delicious pudding cookies!

PUDDING COOKIES

1 1/2 sticks (or 3/4 cup) butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2-1/4 cups flour
1-2 cups chocolate chips (or whatever add in you would like)

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Stir together flour and baking soda and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars together.
Add in pudding package and beat until well blended.
Add eggs and vanilla.
Add flour mixture slowly until well incorporated.
Add chocolate chips or whatever add-in you chose.
Roll into 1″ balls and place on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 F for 8-12 minutes.

Comments

Gah! Now I'm craving cookies at 10:30 in the morning. Not good! But I bet these cookies are great! Thanks for sharing.

I have a box of lemon flavored instant pudding. I am going to try using that instead of vanilla.

Melissa, The Happier Homemaker says:

Must. make. immediately. Darn, now I have to go to the store!! Thanks for sharing!

Yum! I think I might have everything I need to make these too!!! :)

BigBearswife says:

PUdding Cookies = the best cookies ever!!!

Bless by Tone says:

Thank you so much for your comment! Tone

Karen @ Goodbyecityhellosuburb says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Following you back. Great recipes!

I definitely have to try these! Too bad I'm out of baking soda or I'd make some today!

Danielle says:

Hi I am Danielle from Blissful and Domestic. I had a question for you. I am going to be starting a Getting to Know you segment on my blog. The first will be this Sunday and I am going to introduce myself and show everyone what the segment will be about. I would love if you would join in on the fun this month. Do you think you would be up for it? It is just a post introducing yourself and your blog and what you are about. Just a way for me people to find out about your cute blog. So let me know what you think:>

-Danielle

From Scratch says:

Great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Lark (SparkyLarky) says:

These are a favorite at our house too!
    we make chocolate ones the same way ..adding in 1/4 C. cocoa and Chocolate pudding. :)

Thanks for following my blog! I'm now follow your's as well. I love a good cooking blog, can't wait to try some of the recipes!

Ambreen says:

Hi Nikki! Thanks for visiting my blog & joining as a follower. So happy to follow you too! These cookies sound great. I could enjoy a plateful :)

Mel the Crafty Scientist says:

Thanks for following my blog – I'm your newest follower now too! LOVE these recipes… my mouth is watering! : )

Sinful Sundays says:

Pudding cookies are the best. I love them! Yours look great. :)

The Yehl Family says:

Yum-ee! I am always trying to make softer cookies, so this tip is great!

P.S. Thanks for following my blog, Just for the Yehl of It! I just started following yours too!

Arlene (CO Kid) says:

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your address. I am going to have to spend some time here! Yum! I just pinned your TX Roadhouse Rolls! Thanks for sharing!

More scrummy cookies!!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

cmerkley says:

Yummy! Sounds great, I am Camille from http://www.huntscooking.blogspot.com and I am now following your blog. How fun I cant wait to try these! Thanks for becoming a follower on my blog!

Blessed Momma says:

Sounds yummy! Great idea using pudding, never tried in cookies but in cupcakes and they always come out moist and super delish!

I have used this recipe before it is great! I have used chocolate pudding with butterscotch chips, also.

These look amazing!!!

Woah! I've never heard of or seen this before! It's like the Coldstone Cramery (slash Marble Slab slash any add-your-own-stuff-ice-cream-place) of cookies! YAY! I am sure this is definitely a people pleaser, am I right? Sounds like a cute thing to make for someone's birthday – add their favorite candy bar! Love it!-Carlyhttp://www.createliveblog.com

Oh, yes, pudding cookies can be very tasty. :-) Thank you for linking these at Joy of Desserts.

I have never heard of adding pudding mix to cookie batter. Yum!

Those look devine!

Yum! Pudding + cookie = awesome.

Oh My!! My mouth is watering. ;) I would love to make these, but I have to watch my sugar intake. darn.Thank you for coming to my blog and leaving a comment I appreciate it! And for being a new follower. You site is simply wonderful. :)Mary from http://sketchesbymary.blogspot.com

I make a cookie VERY similar to these with pudding! Everyone always LOVES them :)What I love about them is that even a week later (not that they typically last that long in my house) they are STILL soft and moist!Haute To Sew

Oooh I'll have to try these as well! Thanks for sharing.

I think I could have eaten a thousand of these at your house the other week. I think I settled for eating just three. Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I will be making these sometime soon!

Hollie - TheSevenYearCottage.com says:

I will have to try!

Mandy Saunders says:

Just a question… do you make up the pudding before adding it to the butter and sugar, or are you only adding the powder that comes in the box?

Thanks,
    Mandy Saunders
    stampininmandyland.blogspot.com

Just wanted you to know that I made these and am sharing them on my blog today with a link back to you.

Hello! These look amazing. I want to make them today, and I'm wondering if you know about how many cookies this recipe makes?

Thanks!

Shannon @ Imperfectly-Inspired.blogspot.com

I just published a post about my experience with this recipe. I hope you can check it out. THANK YOU!Shannon @ Imperfectly-Inspired

Michael Ann says:

I made the cheesecake white choc chip ones last week and my 15 yr old went crazy for them. We all liked them, but him especially and he wants me to make more right away ;-) They would be good with white choc chips and macadamia nuts :-)

Sorry if I'm being really dumb but what is pudding mixture? I'm English and we use the word pudding to describe any desserts!?
    Is this like an angel delight creamy textured kind of thing? You know, kind of custardy!? Really really want to make these cookies! Anyone know the UK alternative?

@Tinuke B That is not a dumb question at all! Feel free to ask anything! The pudding mix stated in the recipe is talking about the Jello Instant Pudding package. It is just a powder. You don't make up the pudding, just leave it as is and add the powder when it says to add the pudding package in the recipe. Does that help? E-mail me at chefintraining.recipes@gmail.com if you have any more questions. I would love to help in any way I can!

Thanks for your help! Gotta love Amazon.co.uk, they stock the jello pudding mix (for any UK readers, I think it looks like its similar to our angel delight, but will confirm once I've recieved it!!)

Can I use sugar free pudding and cake mix?

I make some cookies like this at Christmas but I use chocolate pudding and Andes mint chips. Yummy!!

my daughter took these to the fair for 4H, but only received a blue ribbon for them—but we think they are awesome—can also substitute chocolate pudding and white chocolate chips.

This recipe is AMAZING. I made the dough with regular sized M&Ms, probably ate seven cookies raw, then five baked in one night. The next day I swear I ate half of the batch. They are so delicious and addictive! Making them again soon for a coworker who just had a baby.

I just came across your website. You baking looks delicious! This recipe is my hands down favorite cookie ever! My mom found it on the side of jello pudding in the 70s, I bet yours did too! I have never seen it on another website or blog before, how fun!!! I made all sort of different variations of them too! Here is a link to them on my blog http://www.katieleehome.com/blog/?tag=health

Oh my! Just made these with chocolate chips. Sooooo yummy and soft. Thanks for the recipe!

These are so good but I can't eat too many, they have a lot of sodium per serving (2898.5mg).

I have this recipe (from my mom's recipe box) and I gave it to my sister. We came up with a too-die-for alteration!!!!!! Sub a box of chocolate instant pudding instead of vanilla and add a couple heaping tablespoons of good dutch cocoa … Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies. Cures anything that ails ya!!!

Thank you so much for this recipe! I have been looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe that would actually work and not turn flat. We live very close to the mountains so it has been hard to find a recipe that works, but I now have one!! Thanks so much! They are delicious!

Just wondering if the photo is of your cookies, and if so, did you flatten the balls before you baked them? I just made these today, I live in KC so average altitude, and mine are still incredibly puffy and spongy. They are good, but they don't look like the ones in your picture at all!

Mine turned out like puffy balls as well! No flattening! Did we find out what went wrong?

Mine too – I even tried flattening them and still no luck. They taste ok, but look awful. What type of flour did you use??

I use All-Purpose flour. It could be due to altitude differences. Try using 2 cups flour next time and see if that helps. Add more as needed :)

I had the same problem. Did anyone figure out what went wrong? I followed the recipe…? I’m near Chicago so I don’t think altitude played a role.

Hey Anna! Yes, the photo is one I took of my cookies. No, I didn't flatten them before I baked them. That is weird your cookies turned out like that. I'll look into it a little more. E-mail me at chefintraining.recipes at gmail.com and let's see if we can't get to the bottom of it.

Does any one know if you have to make the pudding like you regularly would or just add the powder mix of the pudding? I want to make these but I don't want to mess them up!

its just the powder mix.

Thank you!!

Corinna says:

Hey, wait a minute… this is the exact same recipe you posted recently for Cake Batter Pudding Cookies… minus the cake batter.

So, which would you say is the yummier recipe?

~Corinna

I used this recipe before to make cookies for a cookie bake off and won first place. They are sooo good!

I’ve had these before and they are by far the best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever had!

Has anyone ever tried this recipe with sugar free pudding? I just thought I’d ask before I try it.

EBPitcher says:

A technical question: could cook-n-serve pudding be used in these or any of your other pudding cookies? I accidentally bought a box of cook-n-serve and am looking for something to do with it.

Question: Which type of flour are you using, all-purpose or self-rising? Thanks! these sound wonderful i am making them now and hoping i pick the right flour!

Cristin says:

this is probably a stupid question and I’m probably going to kick myself after I ask it HOWEVER, with the flower part where you have 2-1/4 cups flower – does that mean 2 cups and 1/4 cup all together or does it mean TWO scoops of 1/4 cups(If that makes sense). Thanks!

I just made this recipe and the cookies turned out Delicious!! I followed the recipe exactly and used 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips. My family loved these cookies and i will definitely be making these again! (:
    Thanks So Much

I have been eyeing these for like 6 mos – I really need to just MAKE them!

MMMMMmmmmm!!! These cookies are SO good. Saw the recipe on Pinterest and had to try them. YUM! Thank you! Note that recipe worked at altitude too (5200 ft.).

These are the best cookies I have ever tasted! I just fed them to my husband and he said the same thing! I even used sugar free fat free pudding, and the light butter, and they are incredible!

This recipe is nearly identical to a 2004 recipe for Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies by Debbi Borsick on allrecipes.com. The only difference between her recipe and this one is 1/4 cup less butter…

Thank you for the information. I did not get this recipe from her and I know there are many versions of it out there. Whenever I use or adapt a recipe from someone I site the source. This is the one that has been in my family for years and it is delicious! :) Thanks for stopping by and have a great day :)

I have been using vanilla pudding in my cookies for years. My aunts cookies were always the best and she used the pudding! I also take them out of the oven before they overly brown. Always make a double batch and they r usually gone in no time!

Ty for sharing….can t wait to try them…

Just made these cookies and used the Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding mix and white chocolate chips and they were Awesome!

Made pudding cookies for the first time this weekend and we LOVE them! Made half with the standard chocolate chip recipe, but added 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice to the other half (w/ choc chips as well) and they turned out fabulous! Will definitely be making these again…. as well as others. :)

My new favorite cookie recipe !! Thanks so much for sharing!

Just finished making these, mine were not flat either, never the less the were awesome cookies!

This sounds delish! I have a silly question though…would this work for pre-packaged cookie mixes? I’ve got a box of the already packaged ones from costco that has like 6 sugar cookie mixes in it. Could I just follow the directions on the box and then add in the vanilla pudding? thanks!!!

Tey are in the oven… ^-^

Thank you for sharing! I can not wait to try these yummy looking cookies!

We’ve made these cookies at our home for many, many years and they are our favorite. We use chocolate pudding to make chocolate chocolate chip cookies. In fact, we served these cookies with milk at my daughter’s wedding instead of doing a groom’s cake. My daughter doesn’t like wedding cake and her husband LOVES it. so the wedding cake was for him and the cookies for her. I had some great friends who each made a batch of them so I didn’t have to do all the work myself! Your post brings back some wonderful memories!

Shoot, I’m in the process of making these with my son….HELP!!! How much flour??? 2 and 1/4 cups or 1/2 cup???

2 1/4 cups flour :)

Thanks. I assumed that is what you meant and I did that amount. Curious, why baking soda and not baking powder? My cookies didn’t turn out. The taste was there, but they never spread out. It was a bummer. Not sure what I did wrong.

Amanda Smith says:

I just made these with quartered mini snickers and they are phenomenal….will be using them for a christmas cookie exchange/gifts….thanks a bunch! Happy holidays to you and yours!

I just made these with my kids, like some of the other posts they taste great but look completely different than your picture. Ours are very puffy too. I guess I’ll play around with the flour next time.

Hi I was going to make these for christmas so I need to know how many does this recipe make?
    Thanks!!

Hands down the best chocolate chip cookies ive made, ever! I have been looking for the perfect recipe for years and this is it!

Being an “older” lady, I accidentally used 1 teasp. baking powder instead of the baking soda and they turned out super good….ate everyone nearly by myself and in making the recipe again, I realized that it called for soda so made them this way and they are also good but spread more…thinner cookie; the ones with the b. powder looked like little tea cakes. I also cut the 1/4 c. of granulated sugar and did not miss it. I did roll some of them in sugar. Used parchment paper on my cookie sheets and baked 10 minutes. Love them….either way. Thought you might want to know….

Loved this recipe…. Hate crunchy cookies and this did the trick…. Looking forward to more recipes….

Hi, i was so excited to make these but when I did they didnt come out flat and pretty like the picture. Not sure what I did wrong. They do taste amazing. I rolled them into balls and that’s how it baked. I used margarine instead of butter, could that be it?

Same thing happened to me, and I used regular butter. Looks like a lot of people have had the same issue, but no solution. :(

I tried this recipe and my cookies turned out shaped like balls, instead of flat and they’re not as soft and most as this recipe description claims. Any idea what went wrong? Thanks!

Found this recipe on Pinterest and had to try it. I’m a total sucker for a good chocolate chip cookie but hated when homemades got hard and crunchy. These are awesome! They were flying off the cooling rack faster than I could get them on! I’ll never make cookies the “old way” ever again, thank you!

These look great! Do you know if the consistency changes if you use shortening instead of butter? Also, how do you get your cookies to be perfectly consistent in size? My usual cookie recipe, I flatten the tops so they are not so puffy.

I’d love it if you came up with an oatmeal chocolate chip pudding cookie recipe! I’d love to add some oats to my chocolate chip pudding cookies and I don’t know how much to add vs. flour. Thanks!

I made these for the first time last night, since it’s a few people at works last day. I have never been able to make such a fluffy soft cookie! I topped them with a few mini eggs to give it an easter flair. They turned out so amazing, I will be saving this recipe for sure.

I like Amanda’s note above about making them into oatmeal chocolate chip… yum.

I tried this recipe today and they turned out great. Thanks for the recipe and I am so jealous of the beautiful cookie photo.

(I had to blog about making these :) http://kharise.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/pudding-chocolate-chip-cookies/).

Catherine says:

pudding cookie recipe

ok.. so i was looking at this recipe.. i’m always looking for new recipe sites to explore (it’s annoying when commentors dont indicate theirs other than through nickname but not completely:( )

anyhow. so my question is: other than pudding in the mix, i dont see much difference between regular recipe choc chip cookies and these? i know pudding in a cake mix makes it “moister” and i GET that part, but is that ALL there is of a difference to doing this? i add a box of pudding?

These cookies are yummy!!! Is it possible to use regular pudding mix vs. instant?

I used banana pudding and it was awesome! This time I’m using banana again but with peanut butter chips instead of chocolate.

When you say pudding mix, is that a self saucing pudding mix? I’m in Australia and I’m trying to work out what to use. Pic please?

Helen Bozic says:

Hi I have a similar question to Natalie …. I’m in the UK and I’m not sure we can get Jello pudding so easily , I’m wondering what kind of pudding it is? Is it like a custardy type thing or more like instant whip?

Thanks

Its a powdered mix that is like an instant whip. Hope that helps let me know if you have any further questions about it.

Jennifer Clark says:

I want to make these for a cookie exchange. How many does 1 batch make?

I made these last night and what a treat!

A few tips. Make sure the butter is room temp, before you cream it about 66 degrees (Cool to the touch, but easily spreadable). Also, chill your dough in the fridge before you bake.. While this will inevitably lengthen your baking time (2 hours in the fridge = 15-18 min baking at 350) You get the PERFECT chewy cookie every time!

These are thee best chocolate chip cookies. Ever. Period. I will never use another recipe! Thank you for sharing!

SouthBay Baker says:

My daughter and I wanted to make these but bought lemon pudding by accident. I had some white chocolate on hand and boy, are they good. I had to get them out of the house before I ate them all myself. I don’t even like white chocolate! Thanks for the inspiration, I think.

This is my new go to chocolate chip cookie recipe. Before I found this recipe it didn’t matter what I did my cookies would NEVER turn out. But these are fluffy and YUMMY as hell! Thank you!!!

Amy Sader-Brown says:

Hi :) I made these tonight, but used cinnamon chips and pumpkin instant pudding (also experimented with coconut oil for the butter). They turned out super delicious. Thanks for the great recipe. I bet there are a million different pudding/chip combos that would be fantastic!