My darling Aunt-in-law, Kimberly, makes some of the most amazing dishes! She so kindly shared her recipe and it is now a family favorite. I adapted her recipe slightly to my families liking, but the base is still the same and the end result is mouth watering delicious!
Now that the colder weather is here, there is nothing I love more than to sit down to a bowl of nice, warm, creamy soup! Baked Potato Soup definitely makes it into my top 3 favorite kinds! Need a yummy soup to get you through the cold season, this is just the one for you!
- 5-6 russet potatoes
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1 cup sour cream
- . TOPPINGS ., .
- shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions
- You can either bake the potatoes or peel, chop and boil them until soft and tender. (My aunt does baked. I like to, but to sometimes save on time, I boil them)
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Once butter is melted add flour. Stir to make a roux and let it simmer while stirring for a minute.
- Slowly add milk and half and half. Stir constantly until thickened. This can take a while but be patient, it will.
- Stir in salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic salt
- Stir in small diced and tender potatoes along with the sour cream until evenly mixed through.
- Put in a crock pot and keep on warm until ready to serve.
- I like to serve mine with bread bowls. Also, in separate bowls, I put cheese, cooked and crumbled bacon, and green onions so that people can add how much they want of what.