Hostess Cupcake Cake Balls

Growing up, one of the staple food items I remember was Hostess Cupcakes.  We would get them for road trips, snacks, and just for stocking them up in the freezer.  We loved to microwave them and get them all gooey! MMM!  I don’t know why but it has probably been 15 years since I last had one.  When I saw this recipe it took me back and I had to try this fun take on them!

They were ABSOLUTELY delicious!

HOSTESS CUPCAKE CAKE BALLS
recipe from: Sugar Derby

• 1 box chocolate cake mix (and whatever it calls for)
  • 1/2 container of cream cheese cake frosting

Bake cake as the box directs and let it cool completely. I used Devil’s Food, but any chocolate cake mix will work.  Once cooled, crumble with hands.
Add 1/2 container of cream cheese cake frosting and mix with hands.
Roll the mixture into balls. Save some of the mix to cover the hole after filling… just enough to make about 2 cake balls… Do not freeze this part. Just set it aside.
Hollow out the inside of each ball with your finger.
Once this is done place them in the freezer while you are making the cream filling. Let stay in freezer at least 30 minutes.

Cream Filling

• 2 tsp very hot water, not boiling
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 jar marshmallow creme
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

Dissolve salt into hot water and set aside to cool. Whip marshmallow creme, shortening, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add water once cool and whip well.
You can use a pastry bag set that comes with a tip for filling. I actually like using a ZipLoc bag with the tip cut off better. You use whatever you like :)
Take the cake balls out of the freezer and fill them!
After they are filled, smooth out a piece of the cake ball mix and place over the filling. Smooth onto the cake ball to make the rounded ball shape.
Put them back in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
Once they are ready, melt your chocolate and dip as normal.
Put BACK in freezer or refrigerator for just a few minutes while you are preparing the white chocolate.
You can use either a Candy Decorating Pen or melt some white chocolate chips and place in a ZipLoc bag… snip just a very very tiny bit off the end then swirl it on.
They may not look perfect, but boy are they DELICIOUS!

Linking up to these parties and here

Comments

TheBookGirl says:

Wow, this does take me back to my childhood :)
    My brothers were big hostess cupcake and devil dog fans (I think that was Drakes), and I loved the sunny doodles!

The Answer Is Chocolate says:

Oh these are wonderful! Fond memories of childhood. Would love you to come link these up at my link party going on right now!

Great idea!! They look so delicious!!

MrsFoxsSweets says:

These look fabulous! Awesome idea!

This has got to be the BEST cake ball idea I have EVER seen! I am so making these this week!

Amy's Cooking Adventures says:

Well, don't these look yummy? I'm just going to have to give these a try!

Michelle Paige says:

Man, these look good! I'm pinning this recipe! Thanks!
    –michellepaige.blogspot.com

These will be a perfect addition to my candy recipe collection! I am thinking Christmas gifts…:)

Crafty Mischief says:

Yum! These look amazing! If it wasn't 10:30 at night I would make these right now! Of course, Walmart is still open. Very tempting! I found you through Tatertots and Jello. Thanks for sharing!

These look amazing! Pinning this for sure haha!

Karyn - Pint Sized Baker says:

Fan of Sugar Derby and now a fan of yours! Love the Hostess pops! Yumm-o!

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves says:

Oh my yumminess! I am pinning these yum!

Oh yum. I want these too!!!

Vivienne @ the V Spot says:

These look amazing. I've pinned it and will have to try. :) Here from Whipperberry

Katelyn- Domestic Charm says:

These are so cute, and look yummy!

Kelli @ RTSM says:

I really didn't need to see these! Now I want to make them…like right now! And that means I will be eating way too many of them! Stopping by from TT&J!

oooohhhhhhh this is just…this is just…ohhhhhhhhh

so yummy!I'd love for you to link up to my linky party http://www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

Wanted to let you know I featured this as part of my Open House Link Party Wrap Up! Feel free to grab a featured button from my sidebar if you like!

One of my favorite deserts! YUMMY! Featuring this today: http://polkadotbungalow.blogspot.com/2011/11/marvelous-mondayno-10.htmlHave a lovely Holiday Season! Steph

Ah! So yum!! All of your yummies look so good!
    Thanks for sharing them at Show & Share!

How many does this recipe make?

How much melted chocolate is needed to coat?

Did you use melted chocolate chips or almond bark? The chocolate wasn't really described and I find these seriously tempting!

Going to try this, can you tell me what size jar of marshmallow creme you used? BTW, love your blog

Is it ok to freeze the cupcake balls after they are completely finished? Just for a few days?