These Italian Zucchini Boats are the perfect combination of flavors and textures. It is perfectly cooked juicy zucchini stuffed with Italian sausage, cheese and a perfect blend of herbs and spices.
Zucchini is a family favorite. It is one vegetable, that when cooked right, I can get my entire family to eat. Whether I use it in a side, a dessert or a main dish, we absolutely love this vegetable!
The past few months have been a little crazy around the world. My thoughts and prayers are with you all as we get through this together! Being inside a lot more recently has got me back in the kitchen cooking a lot more frequently and using a lot more of what we have on hand.
Sausage is something I like to keep in my freezer. I also keep a variety of cheeses in my freezer as well. I also like to have herbs and spices on hand in my pantry. The main thing I had to go out and buy was zucchini but it was TOTALLY worth it!
These beauties are loaded with flavor! It has an array of Italian herbs that compliment one another beautifully.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did. I am going to be sharing lots of fun recipes with you to help keep your plates lively and colorful even if we are all staying inside for the next little bit.
- 4 to 6 small to medium zucchini
- 1 pound hot Jimmy Dean sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 7 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet cook sausage with the onions over medium high heat until cooked through completely. Drain off fat.
- Add tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt. Bring to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Slice zucchini lengthwise and carefully scrape out the middle, removing all seeds. (Make sure it is deep enough so that you can fill them generously.)
- Place zucchini on lined cookie sheet and fill them with the meat mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 22 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese over the top and return to oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted