Chocolate Whoopie Pies
These cookies are soft, chocolatey and dreamy! The marshmallow-like frosting is the perfect filling! They are truly spectacular!
These past two weeks have been a couple for the record books. I don’t get to finally sit down for some “me time” until around midnight, which by then it is bed time anyway. Between all my kids’ schools, extra circular activities, play dates, errands, work, and any other little random things that get thrown into the mix, I am completely worn out by the end of the day. On these particular days, I like to end my day with some chocolate. And Diet Coke.
To prove that point, here is a funny story for the day. I was driving my kids around frantically earlier this week trying to get them on time to something, and I guess the stress of the day was displaying through my voice and attitude. My little girl quickly says, “wow mom! Let’s get you some chocolate and diet coke real fast!” hahaha! I just about died laughing. Even the littles know what my happy fixes are ;)
Speaking of chocolate, lets talk about today’s cookie shall we?
These are one of my mom’s top 3 favorite kind of cookies… and for good reason!
The chocolate cookies are so soft and cake like. They are super moist and taste incredibly yummy! The frosting is my 7-Minute Frosting recipe from the blog and makes the PERFECT filling for these Chocolate Whoopie Pies! These are the perfect cookie sandwich!
Each bite is absolute heaven! These cookies are super simple to make and will have everyone smiling :)
Definitely put these cookies on your must make list! You will not regret it!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoon corn syrup
- 5 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter and sugar and beat. Add eggs and beat again. Add buttermilk and vanilla, and mix again. Add flour, cocoa, soda, and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop 12 cookies onto it.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes and cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing.
- Fill the bottom half of a double boiler about half way with water and heat to a boil.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, egg whites, and salt in the top pan of a double boiler and beat until just combined (about a 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Place on top pan on top of the bottom double boiler filled with the boiling water, making sure that the water is not touching the bottom of the top double boiler.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 7 minutes while frosting cooks. Frosting should become thickened and have a glossy appearance. Allow frosting to cool.
- Spread frosting quite thick on a cooled cookie and then place another cookie on top.
Count me in! I love these!
I like chocolate cookies and especially the frosting!!
How big or small of a scoop are you using for the cookie batter?
I LOVE whoopie pies, these look wonderful! Glad you're getting some "me" time, we all need that whenever we can get it! :)
Leave a Comment