Today is a special day. It is my anniversary! Today I am celebrating another wonderful year of being married to my incredible hunk of a husband.
Today called for a recipe that could do this day some justice.
There is not a more romantic food than chocolate in my honest opinion. Which is why I couldn’t think of a more suiting recipe I could share on this special day ;)
Let me tell you a little bit of history. No- I am not talking about mine and my husband’s epic love story, as I am sure you are all dying to hear (probably not)- but I am going to give you some history between me and Chocolate Molten Lava Cake.
I don’t remember the exact birthday, but sometime in high school my tradition began. Every year on my birthday, I would get a Chili’s Chocolate Molten Lava Cake. The tradition still lives strong today.
My husband, being the smart man he is, knows that Chocolate Molten Lava Cake is a smooth sailing ride to my heart and on special occasions he will take me out just for that dessert :) In fact, when he really is trying to impress, we START with that dessert at Chili’s and then work our way to dinner. It is just a sure way to make sure our calories and empty stomachs are spent and utilized wisely ;)
I initially had a hard time wrapping my head around what I am about to tell you, but after the second bite there was no looking back. This Chocolate Molten Lava Cake FAR exceeds Chili’s version. The cake melts-in-your-mouth far better and the oozing chocolate is far more delicious. Trust me. I am never looking back.
I found this cake first over on Carlsbad Cravings. If you haven’t heard of her blog or read her story, you are missing out. It is incredible and you won’t be able to stop the tears. Along with her touching and moving story, she shares some fantastic recipes. When I feasted my eyes upon this cake, it was only a matter of
time seconds, before I had to make it for myself.
This cake is jaw-droppinging amazing! It is cooked to perfection with the perfect amount of warm creamy chocolate flowing from the center. I’m tell you, this dessert is epic.
Top it off with some ice cream and Homemade Magic Shell, and you will be IN FOOD HEAVEN!
If you love rich, velvety, melt-in-your mouth chocolate, and if you love cake, then you need to make this dessert! You will be left speechless!
- 4 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate, I have also used 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips with success
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray 4 small (6-8 oz) ramekin dishes with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, combine butter and chocolate and melt in 30 second increments, string between each increment until chocolate and butter are combined and smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and stir in evenly.
- Add eggs and egg yolks and beat in until well combined.
- Stir in flour until well combined.
- Pour and distribute batter evenly in the 4 prepared ramekin dishes.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 12-13 minutes until edges are firm and center is soft, but not super jiggly.
- Let cool for 2 minutes. Using a knife, gently pull cake away from the edges then invert onto plate or serving dish.
- Serve with dusted powdered sugar, ice cream, magic shell or however desired. No matter how you want to eat it, serve immediately.