I grew up on this breakfast cake. The recipe dates way back to when my mom was a kid and is a cherished recipe in my grandma’s cookbook.
The cake paired with the delicious crumb topping makes for the perfect breakfast or snack. I know what you are thinking… that kind of sugar for breakfast? Cake for breakfast? and to that I reply, yes, but of course! It is not your traditional cake base. The cake itself is not overly sweet but the crumb topping is the perfect finishing touch for both flavor and texture.
It truly is so delicious- you will not want to pass up this recipe. It was a favorite weekend breakfast treat for us as kids and is now exactly that for my own kids. It is super simple to make and will quickly become a new favorite around your house!
NOTE*: I have never had any problems with the original recipe, but due to some comments, I have adjusted the baking powder to 1 Tablespoon and increased the sugar from 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1⅓ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and mix well. Add milk and beat. Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until well incorporated. Don't over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon and stir until well mixed. Cut in butter until crumbs are formed.
- Evenly sprinkle crumb topping over cake batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Preform toothpick test to make sure cake is done.