Delicious and simple cake topped with the most incredible banana pudding and homemade whipped cream. This is a MUST MAKE!
We are getting so anxious for summer here at my house. School is winding down and the fun family get togethers are being planned.
With summer on the mind, cream pies never venture far away.
Recently, I made a Banana Cream Pie Dip. I am not exaggerating when I say that I could seriously eat that stuff by the spoonful… it is THAT good!
After making that recipe again, my mom came up with this incredible dessert. Let me tell you, if you love banana cream pie, you will go crazy over this cake!
The layers of cake, banana pudding and whipped cream combine to make one unforgettable treat!
- 2 cups flour plus 2 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 3¾ cups milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 20 Nilla Waffers, crushed
- In a large mixing bowl, measure flour and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine butter, water, and shortening. Bring to a boil. After mixture reaches a boil, add it to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Add buttermilk, then baking soda, then eggs, then vanilla in that order, mixing in-between each addition.
- Pour into a greased 10x15x1 inch cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely. While cake is cooling, prepare pudding.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar and flour. Add 2 cups milk to the sugar/flour mixture and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk egg yolks together and then add to sugar/flour mixture and mix well.
- Add remaining milk stir to combine.
- Place pan over low heat and cook until pudding thickens, stirring constantly.
- Once pudding has thickened, remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Let cool completely.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Spread pudding over cake.
- Spread banana slices over cake.
- In small mixing bowl combine beat whipping cream for 1 minute.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla and beat again.
- Carefully spread whipping cream over pudding.
- Sprinkle with Nilla Waffers.
- Store in fridge.