A delicious and unique dessert with a homemade apple pie filling surrounded by a crispy tortilla coated in cinnamon and sugar!
Spring is almost here and the weather is slightly warming up. During this time of year, I love warm treats. They give so much comfort to the chilly air.
I love unique and tasty desserts. These Apple Pie Taquitos are just that! They stuffed with an incredible apple pie filling and rolled in a crispy cinnamon-sugar coated tortilla. My family and guests went crazy for these :)
When you top it with ice cream and caramel it makes for such a delicious bite!
- 3½ Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoon cold water
- ½ cup butter
- 4 cups peeled and chopped apples, chopped into bite-size bites (I use a combination of granny smith and gala)
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons orange juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 12 (9-inch) tortillas
- ⅓ cup melted butter, to brush tortillas with
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream to serve with
- Caramel ice cream topping to drizzle over the top
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and add apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon juice, orange juice, salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes until apples begin to become tender. Add the cornstarch mixture to the apples and cook until thickened about 3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Have melted butter ready for the assembly.
- Soften tortillas if needed in microwave for about 35 seconds.
- With a pastry brush, brush one side of the tortilla with the melted butter. Sprinkle sugar mixture over the top. Flip the tortilla over and place ⅓ cup apple mixture length-wise down the tortilla toward the right hand side. As tightly as possible roll the tortilla up and place onto cookie sheet. I could only fit about 7 at a time on my cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 to 13 minutes or until tortillas begin to brown and crisp up.
- Place one on a plate and top with ice cream and serve with a caramel drizzle over the ice cream.