Do you still have some zucchini you are needing to use up!?! We still do and I want to share with you one of my absolute favorite ways to use it.
One day I came home from Jr. High expecting to see one of the traditional after-school-snacks my mom typically made. Instead, on the table was one of these topped with sour cream. My mom told me they were called “Zucchini Pancakes.” I then proceeded to ask her, “Pancakes? Well, why do they have sour cream on them?!” My small little mind only associated pancakes with sweetness and syrup. After one bite, I was hooked! These soon became a new favorite in the late summer/early fall in my parents home and now in my own home. We love them!
- 2 cups grated zucchini, not peeled and squeezed dry with a paper towel
- ¼ tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup flour
- oil for frying.
- In a large bowl stir grated zucchini, lemon juice, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and egg with a wooden spoon.
- Add in Parmesan Cheese and flour and stir to combine. You do not want to beat this mixture. It can be over beaten and effect the outcome of the batter.
- Place some batter into hot oil and lightly spread out with a spoon. Cook for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned and flip over and cook remaining side until it is lightly browned.
- Serve warm with sour cream, avocado, tomatoes... or however you want to enjoy it, that is just how I like mine :)