A few of my sister-in-laws got together this week while the husband’s were busy working. We have been having an absolute blast hanging out, catching up and letting our kids enjoy the pool in grandma and grandpa’s backyard. I just love summertime!
While we were all together, we decided to put a yummy dinner together for our families. My sister-in-law, Autumn, is a great cook and has many delicious and healthy recipes. She whipped up this side dish and let me tell you, it is AMAZING!… even the kids ate it! It was super delicious and flavorful!
Mexican Fried Cauliflower
By June 21, 2012Published:
A few of my sister-in-laws got together this week while the husband's were busy working. We have been having an absolute blast …
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 8 egg whites
- oil for frying
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 large onion
- 4-6 Tbsp. vinegar to taste
- Rinse and dry cauliflower head. It is important to make sure it is patted completely dry.
- Chop cauliflower into 2-inch sections and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until just before stiff peaks form.
- Dip cauliflower sections into egg whites and place into frying oil. Fry until golden brown on each side.
- Place fried cauliflowers into a new large skillet or pan. Place them close together.
- Pour can of tomato sauce over fried cauliflower.
- Chop onion into large slices and sprinkle into sauce.
- Sprinkle sauce with salt, pepper and oregano. Next pour the vinegar over the top.
- Cover and cook for 25-35 minutes, flipping cauliflower halfway though. Cook until a fork can easily be insisted into each cauliflower.
- We like to serve it over rice.