Okay all you almond extract lovers out there, this is another great recipe for you.
When I first was looking over this recipe, it was the almond extract that caught my eye. Seriously, almond extract is amazing. Enough about the almond extract though, because that is not all that makes these cookies spectacular, but it definitely plays a factor.
The combination of flavors; almond, chocolate, coconut (Sounds like I am describing Almond Joys, huh?!) all together make these cookies incredible! Don’t like coconut?… well, neither does my husband. You can successfully leave out the coconut if you desire. Just roll the dough in sugar instead.
I like to call them “Almond Joy Cookies” because that’s what they remind me of! :)
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 5 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 48 milk chocolate kisses
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar together.
- Beat in egg yolk and almond extract until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in 3 cups coconut.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easier to work with.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and roll in remaining coconut. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- After removing from oven, immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie.
- Let cookies cool on pan for 2-3 minutes or until chocolate is softened, then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely
(recipe from: Taste of Home Most Requested Recipes Cookbook)