Nutella Puppy Chow

Be sure and join me on Facebook for the latest updates on new recipes!

Confession.I have an addiction….to Nutella.I LOVE it! I am always on the hunt for recipes containing this delicious substance! When I saw this recipe, I HAD to make it!  It makes the perfect snack! But make sure you have people around, because this stuff is addictive and you may end up eating all if you don’t! haha!

Pin It

NUTELLA PUPPY CHOW
recipe from: Healthy Tasty Chow

1/2 cup butter
1 cup Nutella
3/4 cup chocolate chips (use semi-sweet or dark, milk would be far too sweet and you’d lose the chocolate flavor)
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
2/3 cup hazelnuts
13 cups (more or less) or one 12oz box of hearty wheat/corn/rice cereal like Crispix or Chex – try to find a hearty version so it doesn’t break down when stirring
3 cups powdered sugar

In a 350 degree preheated oven, roast hazelnuts until fragrant and light brown, about 8 minutes.

Allow to cool and remove as much of the skin as you can with a towel.

Grind up hazelnuts finely in a food processor.

Put the cereal in a large bowl and set aside.

In a pan over medium-low heat, melt butter, chocolate, and white chocolate, stirring constantly.When all is melted, remove from heat and add Nutella and stir until mixed in, then add hazelnuts and stir well.

Slowly pour over cereal. Stir with your hands! (make sure they are clean first!) It is MUCH easier than with a spoon.  It may take some time since the the batter is thick.

Dump into a gallon size zip-lock bag and pour in powdered sugar. Start out with a little and add more as needed.  You don’t want them TOO coated with powdered sugar because they will end up tasting to sweet. Zip up the back and shake it until they are coated.

Linking up to these parties and here

Comments

Oh no…. I am obsessed with Nutella. I grew up on it being a Italian. I always wanted to make this recipe, now I want to make it even more because it has Nutella!!!! Thank you for sharing. I am so happy that I joined your blog. Please check out mine and join if you'd like.Warmest Regards,Annamaria

oh my god! why havent i thought of this before!

Oh my! These sound so addictive! I love Nutella but never knew about this! Thanks for sharing!

I want to eat this now! But it would be safer to take to a party to share with others :)

I love this stuff but my husband hates it because last time we babysat a friend's puppy, I had put it's dish of food on the counter. He grabbed a handful, thinking it was the puppy chow treat. Ooops. The kids thought it was hilarious!

OK. Must try this before I end up eating my computer screen!

I must make this!

nutella and powdered sugar?! I'm so there!

My daughter came home from a choir trip to Paris in love with Nutella crepes…I'll have to pass this recipe on to her :)

Uh oh, I have all of these ingredients on hand. I see a sugar binge in my near future.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says:

Holy cow, I think I gained 5lbs just looking at this post. Going in the pinned file for sure!

The Full Circle Gardener says:

Just recently bought nutella for the first time and the whole family enjoys. This looks like a good 'treat'. :)

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home says:

Yum! I just made this last week and didn't think of Nutella!!!

Oh my word I'm in heaven … I'm definitely making these soon thanks!

I love Nutella too! YUM! I am going to try this.

Love it! Please post this, and anything else you may have,in my link party at

Thanks,

Peggy

Angela @ The Not So Functional Housewife says:

Looks delish! I've haven't tried Nutella yet. May have to now!

I would love for you to stop by and link up your recipe for Functional Friday!

~Angela
    The Not So Functional Housewife

Sounds tasty, I love Nutella!

It's so funny you shared this at Church Supper b/c when you posted it my cousin shared it w/ me b/c I too have a Nutella addiction! And so does my son :) I can't wait to try it! Have a great week!

Everyday Mom's Meals

This looks incredible! I love Nutella and puppy chow :)

Why in the world didn't I think of this?! Brilliant and yummy!!

thank you & thank you Pinterest!!! YUM!

What a clever recipe! I love Nutella too!

Malinda Jane Sieg says:

Sounds so yummy!

Pati @ A Crafty Escape says:

I have to make these!

I found that the chocolate mixture was too thick. I had a really hard time coating the cereal. So instead of having individual pieces to munch on, I have lots of big chunks and lots of cereal that didn't get any chocolate. It's a shame too because the flavor is awesome.

@Anonymous I am sorry that it didn't spread over all the cereal for you. The batter is thick, but I found the longer I mixed it and separated the chunks with my hands the more it spread out over all the cereal. I hope that helps.

I don't see hazelnuts in hte photo, so I'm wondering if you use them whole or chopped? Like several of your readers, I just tried Nutella for the first time last week. So, I'm really looking forward to trying this.

Oops! Disregard my last post question. I just read that you have to grind the hazelnuts. Stay in school, kids. Reading is FUNdamental. :)

BeautifulKayos says:

So gonna make this! But I have a question:
    Could you make this without having to use actual hazelnuts?
    Where I'm at, they are kinda hard to come by.

@BeautifulKayos yes you can definitely make them without hazelnuts! They are just for an added hint of flavor and crunch, but it is just as tasty without them!

could you just try this with nutella?

So excited to try this… my son is allergic to peanuts, and we'd just realized we could use Nutella instead of peanut butter for him. :)

Made this over Thanksgiving break for the relatives! It went so fast I barely got any! Loved it, loved it, loved it!

This was absolutely delicious and was a big winner with a group of college kids. I found it way too thick though and had no desire to mix it with my hands, so after mixing in the nutella I added another 1/2 cup of melted butter. Once that was mixed in I was able to pour it over the cereal and mix with a spoon. Much easier and tasted wonderful! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

This was easy to make and delicious! Unfortunately my area has no hazelnuts (so I used equal amounts of pecans, walnuts and almonds I toasted then chopped up). My store also did not have white chocolate chips so I bought a bar of Godiva white chocolate and chopped it up and used it instead. All my guinea pig friends at work adored it This will be made again and again!

Do you know World Nutella Day is coming up on February 5th? :) http://www.nutelladay.com

Ok. There goes my Jenny Craig this week.

I cannot wait to make this…

I made this and there is way too much Nutella/chocolate mix for the amount of Chex. I ended up with so many huge chocolate Chex chunks. In my opinion, the Nutella should be closer to 1/2 cup instead of a 1 cup. The flavor was too sweet for me too, and I love chocolate more than most people.

I bet you could use Capt. Crunch as well…

Dog will die if fed chocolate.

This recipe looks delicious but I just wanted to mention something. Perhaps you should put a little disclaimer/warning at the top to let people know that it's not actually meant for dogs. Chocolate is poisonous to them so I'd hate for anyone to think that it's one of those home-made baked treats for dogs!

I just made this, it was very thick, but I think it will be worth the effort, I've had a few bites and love it. I had to put it in two zip lock bags to get the powdered sugar on it though! Can't wait for my husband to try it.

When the mixture is finished, thinning it out with 1/3 cup of milk works great! It's much easier to spread onto the cereal…

It helps if you can find a big bowl with a locking lid. My mom has one and when we add the chocolate we stir a bit with a spoon then put the lid on and shake, works really well,. \And then do the same with the powdered sugar.

Looks delicious! But why is it called “Puppy Chow”? I originally thought this was for dogs and was thinking, “Are you crazy to feed your dog a bunch of chocolate!?”

Its just a nickname the snack has picked up because it resembles the food puppies eat… Only much more delicious and human friendly :)

I made this tonight and it was delicious! Thank you for the
    recipe :) One thing that might be helpful to add to your directions
    is that the chocolate-Nutella mixture is extremely thick! It is not
    the same consistency as the chocolate-peanutbutter mixture is when
    making regular puppy chow. I was worried that somehow I had done
    something wrong tonight, so just to be sure, I made the mixture
    twice and it turned out the same both times. This was by no means a
    bad thing – it just took a little extra love when initially mixing
    with my hands! Hopefully knowing that the mixture is thick will
    help the next person :)